News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blue Steel 2024

Started by Thewintersoldier, September 13, 2024, 01:57:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I had previously built the original version of the blue steel from Brian. It has been a mainstay on my board and become my go to overdrive with humbuckers. The added brightness, the more open texture of the drive, the more neutral mid-range and the touch sensitivity all make it a great base overdrive for me. So when he released the revised layout I had to build one.

The first thing I decided to do was to ditch the subs switch. As I usually use humbuckers with it, I find the the stock circuit has more than enough low end. Perhaps people using single coils might find that useful. I also prefer having as few controls as possible, so having the stock layout made sense. The updated SMD jfet footprint is great, like aion, and space saving. I also went with a relay bypass from @szukalski . With Brian's new standard layout I only had to swap the 9v and ground leads.

I love the sound of the pedal. I think it really shines with humbuckers. The looser texture of the drive coupled with the added compression of humbuckers makes for a very nice overdrive that cleans up well. I also think the added brightness of the circuit melds well with the darker nature of something like a Les Paul or 335. I really like boosting it with an OD-3 or SD-1 for some midrange punch.

For the enclosure I went with a matte black tayda box and UV print. I went with a new design this time and used Nightcrawler. He really pops and I'm really happy with how it came out. Being as Nightcrawler is German I adjusted the name. Fantastic pedal and another great layout from madbean pedals.

Sent from my Pixel 8 Pro using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Now that's wicked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Superb build Chris.  Great write up too, I'm going to have to revisit this.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Bio77

That's awesome!

I have one of these from Lectric, I need to revisit the sound of this circuit.

jessenator

[NOBODY CARED ABOUT THAT]

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on September 13, 2024, 03:34:24 PMNow that's wicked!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote from: gordo on September 13, 2024, 03:49:04 PMSuperb build Chris.  Great write up too, I'm going to have to revisit this.

Quote from: Bio77 on September 13, 2024, 04:26:50 PMThat's awesome!

I have one of these from Lectric, I need to revisit the sound of this circuit.

Quote from: jessenator on September 13, 2024, 04:27:40 PMsehr schoen! Nicely done.

Thanks guys, a great pedal that's been heavily modded in the boutique world but I think it stands just fine on it's own.
Who the hell is Bucky?