News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Blue Steel cap question

Started by Thewintersoldier, August 21, 2024, 02:15:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Hi Brian, I got a question about C2 on the blue steel. The stock value is 100n, and I don't recall seeing a mod that changes it to 1uf. I changed it on my original build to 100n and plan to do it stock on my 2024 build. Just curious as to your reason for making that cap that value? Thanks.
Who the hell is Bucky?

madbean

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on August 21, 2024, 02:15:36 PMHi Brian, I got a question about C2 on the blue steel. The stock value is 100n, and I don't recall seeing a mod that changes it to 1uf. I changed it on my original build to 100n and plan to do it stock on my 2024 build. Just curious as to your reason for making that cap that value? Thanks.

There are actually two coupling caps there: a 10uF and a 100n. Between those is a FET for the flip-flop. So, I basically split the difference then increased the value of the pull-up resistor afterwards. However, you should be able to reduce that cap to 100n. It's worth comparing to see if you detect any difference in low end. Overall it sounds very balanced to me, as is.

Thewintersoldier

Thanks for the response Brian. I primarily use the pedal with humbuckers and with the 1uf cap it felt a little more mushy and the 100n sounds better especially with darker guitars. With a tele its not as noticeable.
Who the hell is Bucky?