News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE Mini Mu

Started by pedalbob, July 08, 2024, 01:59:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pedalbob

Hi All-

Just bult a VFE Mini Mu with the included Tru Soft switching board.  I used the latching relay and I jumpered the board approprioately per instruction sheet.

The effect turns on and sounds fine ... everything works in effect mode ... LED lights up.  When I click to bypass LED goes out but I get no sound coming thru at all.  Assume the issue is somewhere on the True Soft Board.

Any ideas on where to start ?  I can post pictures but it is boxed and the True Soft Board is "upside down" (solder side showing).   

madbean

Quote from: pedalbob on July 08, 2024, 01:59:30 AMHi All-

Just bult a VFE Mini Mu with the included Tru Soft switching board.  I used the latching relay and I jumpered the board approprioately per instruction sheet.

The effect turns on and sounds fine ... everything works in effect mode ... LED lights up.  When I click to bypass LED goes out but I get no sound coming thru at all.  Assume the issue is somewhere on the True Soft Board.

Any ideas on where to start ?  I can post pictures but it is boxed and the True Soft Board is "upside down" (solder side showing).   

Just a bit of gentle love here, but this is why I emphasize the goofy "rock it before you box it" mantra. Unfortunately at this point you may be looking at some disassembly and pics before anyone can give meaningful advice. The problem description alone isn't enough to give meaningful feedback. There are just too many factors that could be at work.

pedalbob

No problem I almost always do that (test in my test rig first) but with the 2 boards connected with stiff ribbon cable and 3 pots and 3 switches, integral PCB Jacks etc. it is a bit of a tight squeeze/ alignment trick so I soldered the upper part of the ribbon cable (to the switching board) once I had the effect board in and lined up.

I can easily get it apart.  I forgot to mention above there is also no difference when I toggle the buffer/true bypass switch (no bypass signal).

I also have an extra switch board already built because I was making one of these for myself and one for a friend at the same time.  I may just swap that to eliminate that.  I reflowed all the solder joints I did on the installed switching board as step one last night but still nothing. 

pedalbob

So I changed out the switching/power board for a second one that I had built at the sme time with identical components and I am getting the same result (no bypassed signal) but effect on is fine. No bypass signal with buffer/true swicth in either position.

pedalbob

Worked on this some more today with no change ...

The only parts I didn't get from Mouser besides the resistors (which I checked with my Peak passive component tester before installing) was the 2 transistors ... I pulled the BS170 and the J175 and installed sockets ... put in some others that I had that tested fine on my PEAK DCA55 ... still no by pass signal just effect.

I guess next step is to get out my signal probe ... unless somebody has a better idea ??

I've built multiple VFE pedals (Blues King, Choral Reef, etc.) with the old style switching relay boards and never had a problem.  Frustrating since the effect itself is working great.     

madbean

Sorry, a little sick today. I'll take a close look at your posts tomorrow and respond.

pedalbob

No problem. Get well. This can certainly wait.