News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Couple of commission builds - Jimilee Megarats.

Started by Willybomb, June 26, 2024, 12:11:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Willybomb

While selling off my old builds on FB, I often get people wanting commission builds, usually for something (rare, obscure, expensive) that they don't want to pay for.  This is one of those times.  I had a bloke wanting a couple of Jimilee's Megarats but in an enclosure and styled more like the original Rat.

Anyway, this is the result, 2x Megarats in 1590bb2 boxes.  The desired layout means that the pcbs are only mounted by the clipping rotary switch and everything else is floating.  Not how I'd do it by choice, but whatever.  Leads are intentionally left a little long so I have something to work with if something goes wrong.  I've also started heatshrinking exposed solder joins on pots (not just on these builds either).

Tayda powdercoat, drill, and UV print.  I took a lot of time getting the white under the text properly aligned, but I think they struggle a bit with registration on the smaller fonts - ref the clipping list on the bottom panel.

Knobs will be the black/silver boss style.

One is going to Scotland, the other just up the road from me.  The client has a fair bit of experience with some other vector design app (I use Illustrator) and I learnt a lot doing these two.

Thanks Jimi for letting me do this and supplying the board docs.

jimilee

Oh, those are just bad ass,  I love the enclosures, especially the labels on the heel side.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aleph Null

The clipping diode key on the south face is really smart!

Willybomb

Quote from: Aleph Null on June 26, 2024, 09:03:03 PMThe clipping diode key on the south face is really smart!

Thanks, that was a request by the client - I can't claim it, lol.

jwin615

Very clean. Nice job!
Don't know if jimilee has in Scottish in 'em but Scotland is getting a little Jimi in it.
Wait.....

Anyway. I wonder if the white layer/heel print is an issue with their jig. They have to be able to stand them up and also non slow production. Since the edges are tapered, I'm suspecting it's some form of slide in tray type system, envisioning somethinglike a commercial dishwasher tray with pedal sized holes in it. maybe there's just a little play in the process, for fast/easy extraction.
Reminds me of the mechanics triangle/dilemma.
Good - Fast - Cheap : Pick Two.
Work backlogs aside, Tayda is pretty firmly fast and cheap with Good being more like "Good Enough"

Willybomb

QuoteWork backlogs aside, Tayda is pretty firmly fast and cheap with Good being more like "Good Enough"

Yeah, I find it's absolutely best practice to with a one colour print (white on a black enclosure in my other orders) or to get a white enclosure and just put the whole pic into the colour layer.

Bio77

Well done, those are great!  8)  Hope you made a pretty penny, they are worth it.

Willybomb

Quote from: Bio77 on June 28, 2024, 11:43:05 AMWell done, those are great!  8)  Hope you made a pretty penny, they are worth it.

I think I charge a fair price - enough to fund the builds themselves and the next few for myself.  The funny thing is, I generally quote relatively highly with half up front before I start anything and people still want them....

Certainly, getting the Tayda paint/drill/uv enclosures has made it way less stressful.

Willybomb

LaceSensor