News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Vox wah vero

Started by jimilee, March 27, 2016, 01:47:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

stevie1556

Hi guys, I'm currently building up a couple of KoT boards that I got from Rullywow, and while waiting for parts to arrive I've decided to try doing a SMD layout with board mounted 9mm pots. So far the design is going well, one side is nearly done, and with only a few vias! Not happy with the layout on the other side even though is a a direct mirror of side one, gonna play around with it during the week though. Hoping to have the layout done sometime next week and the boards sent off for production.

The only time I've done a two footswitch effect it was a massive fail, so I was wondering would anyone would like to help me by testing the boards? I can supply all the SMD components with them (0805 size), so you'll just need the TH components, pots, jacks, foot switches, etc. Only thing is that I can't guarantee that they are going to work.

I should have 3-5 boards should anyone want to test one out. The picture below is the board that I'm currently designing and tweaking it as I go.

Sent from my SM-G955F using Tapatalk

stevie1556

Hi guys, I'm currently building up a couple of KoT boards that I got from Rullywow, and while waiting for parts to arrive I've decided to try doing a SMD layout with board mounted 9mm pots. So far the design is going well, one side is nearly done, and with only a few vias! Not happy with the layout on the other side even though is a a direct mirror of side one, gonna play around with it during the week though. Hoping to have the layout done sometime next week and the boards sent off for production.

The only time I've done a two footswitch effect it was a massive fail, so I was wondering would anyone would like to help me by testing the boards? I can supply all the SMD components with them (0805 size), so you'll just need the TH components, pots, jacks, foot switches, etc. Only thing is that I can't guarantee that they are going to work.

I should have 3-5 boards should anyone want to test one out. The picture below is the board that I'm currently designing and tweaking it as I go.

stevie1556

stevie1556

stevie1556

stevie1556

Hey guys, there is a few campaigns around recently to reduce plastic waste, recycle as much as we can etc. My company is making a lot of changes because of it.

But it's got me thinking a lot about waste, and from building up some pedals I've got loads of those little plastic bags that the components arrive in. It seems just pointless to throw them in a bin that goes to landfill, so I was wondering if anyone has any creative uses for them or anything?

stevie1556

Hey guys, there is a few campaigns around recently to reduce plastic waste, recycle as much as we can etc. My company is making a lot of changes because of it.

But it's got me thinking a lot about waste, and from building up some pedals I've got loads of those little plastic bags that the components arrive in. It seems just pointless to throw them in a bin that goes to landfill, so I was wondering if anyone has any creative uses for them or anything?

stevie1556

I'm finally going to be trying a Big Muff!!!!!

I've never been into fuzz, my one and only attempt with it was a DAM Meathead, but it was just too much. On a few Facebook groups I keep seeing posts about the Big Muff, so I've decided to try some out. Ordered a few of the 1590A boards, and as I'm currently waiting on some other boards to arrive from Seeed, along with a few components to finish up some other builds, and some silk screening screens (a few mishaps with artwork files has meant delays), I thought I'd try doing a SMD layout. Laid out the components pretty well, and laziness made me try the auto route function on Eagle. Pretty pleased with how it routed it, although I think I could have done a slightly neater job with using hidden vias, but then the traces are hidden anyway so it will look ok.

Which ones do people recommend? I'm looking at building maybe 3 different ones on Madbeans boards. I keep hearing good things about the Green Russian. My main music taste is Def Leppard, Bon Jovi, AC/DC, Steel Panther, etc.

Here is a layout of the board for the Muffin in SMD.....

stevie1556

Who would like to win a board plus components?

One of my friends has asked me repair one of his rare pedals as he doesn't use it and is thinking of selling it. I decided to try to design a board for it as I like it, but I can't justify the price that they go for.

I've just sent off for a board to be made, whoever guesses what the board is for (and providing that the layout works when I test it) can have one shipped along with all the board components.

stevie1556

Just seen that Bean is having a blowout sale on these. If you haven't got one and use a small amp (I've got a Blackstar HT5), they sound absolutely amazing! Definitely one of the best pedals that I've ever built.

chongmagic

If I leave out C5 and C8 as John says he does in the build docs, do I need to jumper them? I know a noob question but I figured I would ask.

Sent from the unknown

chongmagic

If I leave out C5 and C8 as John says he does in the build docs, do I need to jumper them? I know a noob question but I figured I would ask.

Sent from the unknown

stevie1556

Has anyone used this service before? Here is my experience so far.....

One of the companies I order from uses the (I think new) Hammond customisation service. As I've always struggled to drill a couple of holes perfectly I thought I'd give it a try.

The issue I found was that there is a £105 setup charge which is for one design only. I decided the best way of doing it was to just have the input and output jack holes and the power jack hole drilled, and then drill the holes for the pots etc for the enclosures, but in hindsight I should have had the foot switch and LED hole drilled as well. I've had a few silk screens made where I've got drill location markers for the pots (if I had designs of 1, 2 and 3 pot enclosures then they would incur 3 setup fees).

They sent me a test enclosure, and the hole for the power jack was drilled on the wrong side, they corrected it straight away and sent me the rest of the enclosures. It's taken 10 days since sending the revised technical drawing back, get 100 enclosures drilled and have them arrive in the UK, can't complain with that.

With VAT, the enclosures are £3.57 each, but to enclosures supplied drilled, without the one off setup charge, is £6.12 each so I thought it was worth doing to get the 3 holes perfectly drilled every time. Admittedly I did order 100 so I could get the price break point, this amount will probably last me several years!

I've had a look at several enclosures and they all look good so far. I noticed they do powder coating and silk screening as well, I believe it all comes under 1 setup charge for each design though.

stevie1556

Does anyone have any spare Klon boards in 1590A size?

Aleph Null

The snark doodle, red llama, and all such similar call for the CD4049UB, but use only two of the gain stages. It's always seemed strange to me that the other four are just wasted. Is there something special about the Hex CMOS buffer? Couldn't you get similar results by slamming the output of one TL072 stage into the input of another? Please school me.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk