News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Granma's pedalboard

Started by djaaz, January 10, 2024, 09:47:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

djaaz

Forever since i posted something there.
I used some time off to build a new pedalboard from old oak wood that i saved after house restoration. Mainly windows frame & floor wood. Did not see much of them in the section, so some pedal build as well.
This thing floating in the air around the wood looking like dusty spider web is actually a very rare picture of pure mojo.

Getting rid of it

Adding glue and voilĂ :
Powersupply and cable mgmt will be more easily accessible without having to move the board.

Recent builds:

And the traditional gutshot

Aleph Null

Looks good! Gotta get some brass trim and some cornflower blue velcro to complete that late 80's / early 90's look!

djaaz

I was thinking of way earlier look and something like that:

Aleph Null

jimilee

Man, I would fall all the way down those stairs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

way cool! love the red and gold combo

djaaz

Yep. Gonna have to make some cuts

Or change the pedal.

djaaz

Could have been bigger:

First floor at the top of the board is dirt sent to the ABY input. One ouput goes into the modulations and then to amp1 the jamman is bypassed by the 1590a green pedal when not in used, second output goes straight to amp2 for wet/dry effect.
Next stage is amp3 for wet/dry/wet stereo bc why not.

jessenator

Hell yeah, dude! Looking good

jimilee

Quote from: djaaz on January 12, 2024, 01:06:49 AM
Could have been bigger:

First floor at the top of the board is dirt sent to the ABY input. One ouput goes into the modulations and then to amp1 the jamman is bypassed by the 1590a green pedal when not in used, second output goes straight to amp2 for wet/dry effect.
Next stage is amp3 for wet/dry/wet stereo bc why not.

I love it. What about supports in the middle of each shelf? Do you get any sag when you stomp a pedal? (Obviously, you're not slamming on it.)
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

djaaz

Oak is hard and rigid. And heavy.
A tiny bit for the top one. 56cm. 22ish inches. so i expected some and got less.
The top shelf has hinges so that it can pivot with pedals on it and the middle is fixed with velcro. Allows a quick build, quick mod. That's a real game changer. had to accomadate the cables to support the option but what a difference it made just for the build.

I had to cut  a bit of the middle one to make room for the jamman so i added a small piece of wood to extend the support.
Next one will be a smaller board, steel and welding to have something i can actually transport.

jimilee

Quote from: djaaz on January 12, 2024, 02:02:56 AM
Oak is hard and rigid. And heavy.
A tiny bit for the top one. 56cm. 22ish inches. so i expected some and got less.
The top shelf has hinges so that it can pivot with pedals on it and the middle is fixed with velcro. Allows a quick build, quick mod. That's a real game changer. had to accomadate the cables to support the option but what a difference it made just for the build.

I had to cut  a bit of the middle one to make room for the jamman so i added a small piece of wood to extend the support.
Next one will be a smaller board, steel and welding to have something i can actually transport.
I knew it was a hard wood, I just wasn't sure how it stood up in slimmer longer lengths.

djaaz

Quote from: jimilee on January 12, 2024, 02:44:45 AM

I knew it was a hard wood, I just wasn't sure how it stood up in slimmer longer lengths.

I tested some poplar plywood that i had lying around in an attempt to make it lighter and decided against. Just like you i expected this to bend a bit but it works better than i expected. the boards are 13mm, 1/2 inch thick.

That was 2 hours of work, not counting the glue drying. Reclaimed material. So no big deal in case of screw up.

The interesting thing about pedalboard is that they force me to rethink (or rerationalize) my setup. What do i really need (nothing), what do i want and why, what am i still missing and force me to make smart choices.

That is up to the point where i put two fuzz faces side by side because i can't decide which one i prefer.