News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Peacock Parallel Fuzz

Started by Aleph Null, December 11, 2023, 08:56:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

Holy smokes.. I got this switch assembled and I'm trying some parallel combinations today.
This thing is going to solve so many EQ and gain issues- I can't wait to test it out with bass and drums in the room!

Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

Aleph Null

Quote from: dawson on January 23, 2024, 12:34:46 AM
Holy smokes.. I got this switch assembled and I'm trying some parallel combinations today.

I expect mk. II to have four loops, with stereo panning, and adjustable millisecond delays for that authentic quad-tracking sound!  :P

But, seriously, I'd love to know what cool combinations you find. Also, what potentiometer arrangement did you end up with?

dawson

I wired up different pairings using my go-to drive circuits: Peach Fuzz, Cream Puff, Timmy vII, Crunch Box & fOXX Tone Machine.

Peach Fuzz + Timmy is a monster.
I've been struggling for years to transition from fuzzy rhythm tone to fuzzy lead tone.  When it comes time for a lead, I'm often so saturated with gain that I can't clearly poke through the band mix, even with my AC30 fully cranked.  A solution I'm forced into is to reducing gain.. which also reduces 'cool..' so having the ability to leave the rhythm fuzz ON, while adding a nice, clear overdrive alongside of it allows for a much more prominent sound that doesn't lose 'coolness.'
Also, starting with overdrive, then adding fuzz underneath is great in some songs.
I haven't tested it full-band yet, but I've got really high hopes based on what I'm hearing.

Peach Fuzz + Crunch Box
Cream Puff + Timmy II
Cream Puff + Crunch Box
These combinations can do the same tricks in different flavors.

Issues with the Tone machine make me suspect it's out-of-phase, so I built up a little phase switch from that schematic you posted (THANK YOU!) -I'm about to test that out.

Aleph Null

Quote from: dawson on January 23, 2024, 06:48:49 PM
I wired up different pairings using my go-to drive circuits: Peach Fuzz, Cream Puff, Timmy vII, Crunch Box & fOXX Tone Machine.

Peach Fuzz + Timmy is a monster.
I've been struggling for years to transition from fuzzy rhythm tone to fuzzy lead tone.  When it comes time for a lead, I'm often so saturated with gain that I can't clearly poke through the band mix, even with my AC30 fully cranked.  A solution I'm forced into is to reducing gain.. which also reduces 'cool..' so having the ability to leave the rhythm fuzz ON, while adding a nice, clear overdrive alongside of it allows for a much more prominent sound that doesn't lose 'coolness.'
Also, starting with overdrive, then adding fuzz underneath is great in some songs.
I haven't tested it full-band yet, but I've got really high hopes based on what I'm hearing.

Peach Fuzz + Crunch Box
Cream Puff + Timmy II
Cream Puff + Crunch Box
These combinations can do the same tricks in different flavors.

Issues with the Tone machine make me suspect it's out-of-phase, so I built up a little phase switch from that schematic you posted (THANK YOU!) -I'm about to test that out.

That's awesome! The rhythm/lead thing is definitely something I butted up against too. I think it would be cool to try delays and modulation in parallel as well...I might have to work up a parallel looper.

Aleph Null

This video came out today. I different exploration of parallel dirt.

jessenator

Quote from: Aleph Null on February 16, 2024, 08:21:52 PM
This video came out today. I different exploration of parallel dirt.

that's a great demo!

I've only got an Angry Driver (haven't gotten to the PPF yet :( ) for parallel, but it's really neat to hear it all collected in a sound test like that.

dawson

Prototype Peacock PCB's are in production!

jessenator

Quote from: dawson on February 17, 2024, 01:24:29 AM
Prototype Peacock PCB's are in production!

Parallel SCHMöRG!  ;D

Looks great! Can't wait to see in built.

Feral Feline

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aleph Null

It looks like Dawson hasn't been active for a couple of months and no one has received a PCB from him (hopefully, he is doing well!), so I'm thinking about making PCBs for this circuit myself. I already have a working pedal, so I'd want to make something that other people would want to build. I have a few questions for you all:

• Is anyone still interested in a PCB?
  • Would you prefer the original compact 125B layout, or a larger 1590BB layout for more space between the foot switches?
  • Should I keep the original 30° knob angle or stick with a more standard ortholinear layout?
  • Are there any additional features you wish the circuit had?

Let me know what you think!

jessenator

1. Yes
2. 1590BB (vertical)
3. I like the 30° look, but I'm a lazy SOB and prefer pcb-mounted pots
4. nope

Aleph Null

Quote from: jessenator on July 25, 2024, 07:24:59 PM1. Yes
2. 1590BB (vertical)
3. I like the 30° look, but I'm a lazy SOB and prefer pcb-mounted pots
4. nope

Pots would be PCB mounted Whether at 30° or 90°. I'll provide a drill template for whatever layout we end up using.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Aleph Null

So, here's what I'm thinking.

Basically the same layout as the original, but adapted for a 1590BB. The white lines at the top of the layout picture represent where I would put the jacks. I'll do some final cleanup of the layout and make sure everything is labeled consistently.

I'm thinking a flat $10 per board and printed build doc, including shipping in the continental US. What do you think? Would you want to build this?