News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anamorph vs AuqaboyDLX

Started by buck3t5, December 04, 2023, 09:43:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

buck3t5

Ordered an Anamorph Delay (cant wait to build!), and have an Aquaboydlx.  Have some questions about one vs the other.

1. Is the anamorph lfo triangle?
2 how does the modulation compare to the aquaboy considering they use different clocks, and, the aquaboy photocoupled to the 3101 vs the anamorph  more or less straight into the 4047?
3. Changes to the compander - will this increase bandwidth, more responsive bass?
4. Would it be worth socketing  (ref. anamorph mods pg17) C19,20,26->30 to get a blend of dm2/ad900 or will tinkering with these values not be that much fun ie "don't bother, choose one or the other"

5. Will I just have to wait till it's built to find out?

madbean

1 - The modulation is triangle.

2 - I prefer the modulation in the MemoryMan which is why I picked that for this project (along with the clock change). The optical modulation used in the Aquaboys was always a bit of a hacky approach we used back in the freestompboxes days when the Way Huge Aqua Puss was traced. It's fine, but the DMM does it a bit better, IMO. Very musical.

3 - Even though I love the DM-2 the two biggest drawbacks with it are that a) it does distort some on the repeats/low end when you use a lot of dynamics and b) when you have lots of repeats at slow delay settings at some point the repeats will start to glitch out a bit. The first part I already cover in the doc when I talk about increasing the resistance in the feedback path. The second part is due do mainly to the shortcoming of the NE570. When the repeats start to die off they go below the peak detection of the compander and you can hear them start to glitch a bit. There is still some of that in the Anamorph but overall I think it is much improved over the DM-2. But, it's never going to be perfect. BTW - listen to some youTube demos of the DM-2. You can hear exactly what I am describing in a) and b) if you pay close attention.

4 - I can't really say if blending the BOM values would really be of much benefit. I would just be guessing. I think that's more of a try if you dare type thing, haha. I mean, you could sit down and analyze or simulate the filters and show the differences. It's a cool idea, actually. But, not something I expect to do.

Thewintersoldier

Having built both as well as many other delays with and without modulation I will echo everything that Brian has said. The modulation of the DMM is far superior, much more musical and doesn't feel like an after thought like the optical based modulation. The increased headroom and the changes made to the compander make the DM-2 sound much more pleasing. The clock changes are fantastic and makes sourcing parts not only easier but cheaper. also, this has the addition of a stereo out. The anamorph is a superior project in every way and has dethroned my cherished AQBDLX from my pedalboard.
Who the hell is Bucky?

buck3t5

Thank you for the responses. I think my aquaboydlx will gathering dust once the anamorph is built. I have a man-o-war ad900 clone so i'll go with the stock dm2 parts.