News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Interested in a small 1-2 watt bass amp

Started by matmosphere, August 07, 2023, 03:05:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

matmosphere

Hi guys, been a while!

My 13 year old son just started playing bass and I'm looking for something like a Ruby to build him so he can plug in and not be too loud. Read mixed things about Bass with the Ruby that has the bassman mods.

Anyone have a suggestion for a little project? Something not to hard cause maybe I will get the boy to build it himself.

jwin615

Not gonna move a bass speaker with 1 watt. I can fart into a pillow louder than that. :P
Maybe find one of those TDA amp projects like this guy
https://github.com/Erriez/DualTDA7293PowerAmplifier

mauman

+1.  The nature of bass amps is that you need significantly more clean wattage than a guitar amp to get the same perceived volume level.  Even for practice, a couple of watts won't do.

derevaun

My 15yo currently loves to play bass through a shitty Kustom "12 gauge" guitar amp, which I think is 12 watts. I bought the stupid amp for nearly nothing, planning to use it as a cab and maybe put an amp project in it. Anyway, it's too loud with the volume at noon, and it's not even a bass amp. So I think 8-10 watts could cut it for bedroom rocking. There's something to be said for being able to turn it up past 9:00 in normal usage.

The Tiny Giant uses a TDA7240 and is apparently 20 watts at 15-20 volts. No experience with it. Have fun!

matmosphere

Thanks guys, I appreciate the input. I should maybe give a little more background. I'm trying to avoid buying an amp for about a year because where we live now we are on 220V, but next summer we'll be moving back to the states to 110V again. So I feel like buying something that won't work in a year would be a little bit of a waste. So building something small for now seems like the way to go.

I know that a little Ruby or something wouldn't have much volume on a bass, but we aren't looking for loud at the moment, just audible. We have a neighbor 10 feet above his room.

Right now he has been perfectly happy playing unplugged on my semi-hollow bass, but we just got him a solid body so he needs a bit of volume, or maybe a headphone amp. Plus he's really into Bad Religion ATM and I don't know that he minds if it isn't a perfectly clean sound  ;D

I'll figure something out.

jimilee

I have a very small fender rumble practice amp I use. Most of the time, I just run a Scarlette solo into my computer and wear headphones.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

derevaun

When my kid started, he used a Korg Pandora headphone amp cabled into the aux input of a JBL bluetooth speaker.

Willybomb

I've built a couple of TDA based amps.  These will push a 4x12 without issue over an acoustic drumkit and are dead cheap, powered from a 19v laptop power supply.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33275.msg31940

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=33305.msg319680

LukeFRC

When I started I just lent the headstock against a wardrobe door to amplify it.

Look for whatever you can find locally secondhand and sell it again when you leave?

matmosphere

Quote from: LukeFRC on August 12, 2023, 10:38:29 PM

Look for whatever you can find locally secondhand and sell it again when you leave?

I've thought about it but I think it really comes down to the fact that I enjoy building stuff and I think it would be cool to build him something.

I think I'll check out the TDA based amps and see if that would be a good fit.

Thanks all!!!

jwin615

Plus side, the tda would run off DC so it can go anywhere with you.

jimilee

Noisy cricket, that would be a cool build, it's really modifiable. There's even a tube version somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

LukeFRC

Quote from: matmosphere on August 12, 2023, 10:46:18 PM
Quote from: LukeFRC on August 12, 2023, 10:38:29 PM

I've thought about it but I think it really comes down to the fact that I enjoy building stuff and I think it would be cool to build him something.

I think I'll check out the TDA based amps and see if that would be a good fit.

Thanks all!!!
the issue will be that bass amps need way more power than guitar amps, and the cab will tend to be bigger. Ashdown do a small valve amp that's 30w and then coupled with a high efficiency cab - for guitar that would be enough for most things but for bass would just be loud enough to play with a quiet drummer. 
If you are building something it's going to be low power and possibly too big to take back with you.
If it's just for practice a preamp, compressor, drive, whatever and then headphone amp might be more useful ?