News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

New Sunn O))) products are launching soon?

Started by lars, July 18, 2023, 09:32:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

lars

I was surprised to stumble on this since there seems to be little to no hype around it at all.
https://sunnamps.com/
I wonder what this is going to mean for the band, and the Earthquaker life pedals, which have been plastering Sunn's registered trademark on their stuff? I wouldn't want to take on Fender's legal team...

imjonwain

Is the brand still owned by Fender?  I like the look of the new Harmony amps that came out but haven't seen one or heard anything about them either. 
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

WonkoTheSane

I can't imagine them being anything like the original Sunn. Fender builds junk in general for the most part these days except some of the reissue amps can be made to not fail as fast.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

lars

Quote from: imjonwain on July 19, 2023, 01:19:13 AM
Is the brand still owned by Fender?
Yes, Fender still owns Sunn. I guess they figured it was time reboot yet another old thing, since pretty much everything these days is a reboot of something that came before.

Aentons

Quote from: lars on July 19, 2023, 11:32:12 AM
Quote from: imjonwain on July 19, 2023, 01:19:13 AM
Is the brand still owned by Fender?
Yes, Fender still owns Sunn. I guess they figured it was time reboot yet another old thing, since pretty much everything these days is a reboot of something that came before.
Since Giibson has Mesa now, It's likey Fender staying on par

jessenator

There's an opportunity for them to use the Sunn  b r a n d to do some """""boutique"""" product engineering and production, where a consumer would expect to pay more and then they can have that freedom, and maybe not cut every corner. They could do this without a costly spinning up of fabrication by using what resources they have (shared parts as much as they can with Fender product line), using the same fabs, purposely keeping production unit numbers intentionally low, and only spend the R&D into places where it's required. And by R&D, I mean generating Sunn  b r a n ded elements, grille markers, maybe even a custom tolex pattern if they want to splurge.

Like the Fender Custom Shop but just for amps, and banking on the name recognition, putting a modicum of effort, and knowing their patrons won't be a large number.

Not saying they will take it, but the opportunity exists.

Aentons

Quote from: jessenator on July 19, 2023, 07:01:02 PM
There's an opportunity for them to use the Sunn  b r a n d to do some """""boutique"""" product engineering and production, where a consumer would expect to pay more and then they can have that freedom, and maybe not cut every corner. They could do this without a costly spinning up of fabrication by using what resources they have, keeping production numbers intentionally low, and only spend the R&D into places where it's required. And by R&D, I mean generating Sunn  b r a n ded elements, grille markers, maybe even a custom tolex pattern if they want to splurge.

Not saying they will take it, but the opportunity exists.
It's Fender... They are not going to do any of that. They will nickel and dime it to make the most money they can off of the brand and then shutter it once it's not making them money anymore.

jimilee

Unless a very well l own  artist started using it, I would surprised if a newer generation latched on to sunn.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Bio77

Is my concert bass amp going to be worth $1000 now?  I bought it in the late 90s for ~$50. It needs some work, though. Luckily I didn't strip the knobs off it for a pedal (thought about it a couple of times ;D).

lars

Quote from: jimilee on July 19, 2023, 08:05:32 PM
...I would surprised if a newer generation latched on to sunn.
I think there will actually be a lot of confusion with a newer generation. For the last 20+ years, the Sunn logo has only been used by the band and some distortion pedals.
"What, a metal band makes amps now?"

jwin615

Quote from: lars on July 20, 2023, 01:44:15 AM
Quote from: jimilee on July 19, 2023, 08:05:32 PM
...I would surprised if a newer generation latched on to sunn.
I think there will actually be a lot of confusion with a newer generation. For the last 20+ years, the Sunn logo has only been used by the band and some distortion pedals.
"What, a metal band makes amps now?"

There will be some excited Melt Banana fans at least. And it seems Doom is making a bit of a comeback as well.

imjonwain

Yeah, to me Sunn is as well known as Orange at least for the doom folks.
"I'm not sure what "serious design flaws" you see. Does it explode or poison your dog?" - PRR

lars

Well, turns out it is very legit!
https://www.sunnamps.com/amplification
I do see an issue with their pricing though. I've seen pristine original examples of Sunn amps selling for much less than what they're asking on the website. Do they really think people are going to want to pay that much for a reissue, when they can have a fully-functional original for less?

WonkoTheSane

Im still skeptical until I see inside one. The 100S and 200S are going to have circuit changes due to the 6AN8 availability, also KT88 is an odd choice considering they had 6550s originally which are still available. The input jacks are visibly cheap pcb mount ones too, so I image the construction is the same as current production Fender amps. Definitely not paying $3200 for that level of construction.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

lars

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on August 01, 2023, 09:40:55 PM
Definitely not paying $3200 for that level of construction.
Hopefully those are MSRP prices, which are always pretty ridiculous. The only amp I can see generating a lot of interest in this reboot is the Beta Lead, since those do have a cult following and used ones typically can sell for more than this new asking price. The 100S and 200S are in the "are you joking?" price range.