News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

VFE SPS code + more (askin fer help)

Started by madbean, July 01, 2023, 12:25:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Peter has released the hex code for his switching system to the community absolutely free!
https://www.vfepedals.com/product-page/hex

So, to piggyback on his generosity I am going to work up a bypass PCB design that uses it, but with just the switching system and output mute (IOW exclude the dual rail power supply bit) that can be used with any DIY build. And, I'm going to release the design files and Gerbers free for everyone so anyone can have their own boards made and use them to their heart's content. I may do a couple versions, like one for 1590B and one for 1590BB. This isn't something I will be offering through mbp as a product or anything like that. It's for everyone (including me) to use when you wanna do soft touch bypass on a build.

Here's the part I need help with: I can't do much building right now (or any sit down work really) so I'm asking for a couple volunteers that can help out in verifying the project. You would need to be able to order your own boards (from JLC or OSHPark, etc) and program your own MCU (this one uses the 12F509). So, it would cost a few bucks to participate but you'd also be doing a service to the community. Anyway, let me know if you are interested. I'll probably start working on this in a day or so.

jessenator

I can totally help with the verification! I've got a couple things I'm going to get from jlc in the not too distant future.

Who's the best source for the PICs do you reckon? I've got a programmer that's been in its box for over s year I can finally use.

Btw this is super generous and cool of you.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Haberdasher

Awesome, I was just looking into this myself to make a little project, but I'll leave it to you. It sounds like you already have help, but let me know if I can do anything.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 01, 2023, 03:59:06 PM
Awesome, I was just looking into this myself to make a little project, but I'll leave it to you. It sounds like you already have help, but let me know if I can do anything.

Don't let me stop you from doing that if that's your plan. The more the merrier. This is just a cool opportunity for the community to add to our collective arsenal.

madbean

Quote from: jessenator on July 01, 2023, 02:57:37 PM
I can totally help with the verification! I've got a couple things I'm going to get from jlc in the not too distant future.

Who's the best source for the PICs do you reckon? I've got a programmer that's been in its box for over s year I can finally use.

Btw this is super generous and cool of you.

Looks like Mouser has them for about $1.04 which is $.01 cheaper than from Microchip direct. AFAIK, a standard programmer like the Pickit2 (if you happen to have one) will work fine. I do have a Pickit3 but I actually haven't used it yet. Actually, I think the only call I've had to use them so far is to program the EEPROMs for the Headtrip and Dreamtime projects.

But, obviously I would include instructions on how to flash your own PIC as part of the documentation. I have a little programmer PCB I designed where you can load 6 PICs then just move the Pickit from chip to chip to quickly program them. I'll test all that stuff out first probably so I can actually speak like I know what I'm talking about.

jessenator

Quote from: madbean on July 01, 2023, 09:13:37 PM
I have a little programmer PCB I designed where you can load 6 PICs then just move the Pickit from chip to chip to quickly program them. I'll test all that stuff out first probably so I can actually speak like I know what I'm talking about.
That's nifty!

I bought a TL866 II a while back for vintage computing purposes, but the most action it's seen is me getting the PLCC puller out. Should do the job.

gordo

I've got a Pik2 that I've used to program the Coda chips.
Gordy Power

jessenator

Hey Brian. I know you've probably got a lot going on (in addition to recovery), but just bumping this one and curious if you've got an ETA on this. You're awesome. Thanks.

gordo

I'm putting in a Mouser order tonite because, like a moth to a flame, I just can't resist building up Kevin's latest version of the Lab L5 pre-amp.  The new power arrangement works so much better than the old AC powered version that it's totally worth the rework.  Given that I already own both the clean and dirty channel versions it's bit of overkill, but hey...like I need to justify it to THIS crowd...

What was I talking about?  Oh yeah, I'll pick up a bunch of these chips so Brian, whenever you get the board sorted out I can backfill any chip needs or be a quick tester.
Gordy Power

madbean

Quote from: jessenator on August 04, 2023, 02:36:40 PM
Hey Brian. I know you've probably got a lot going on (in addition to recovery), but just bumping this one and curious if you've got an ETA on this. You're awesome. Thanks.

It's already designed. I am going to include it as an option on the upcoming Standard Series but I will also give away the design files for anyone to use. Just waiting to place my next manufacturing order some time next week.

gordo

Oh fer krisake.  Mouser is out of stock except for smd.  I snagged a bunch on Amazon.  Price jumps from $1.11 to about $1.70 so really not a deal breaker.  I just like dealing with Mouser.  I got everything else I needed from Stompbox Parts, including a very cool looking gold enclosure so a good stress test on the old Paypal account  ::)

I was due for a restock on their pretinned and precut wire anyway.  Worth noting that it's really excellent stuff and likely a waste in terms of cutoffs but really good quality.
Gordy Power

gordo

I'll get re-familiarized with the burn process and get these cranked out as soon as they arrive.  Been ages since I've burned chips.
Gordy Power

gordo

One last thing.  The dog in my avatar is Dylan the Vylan for anyone on social.  I'm not on any form of social media but apparently he has quite the following and got his first modeling gig this week. 
Gordy Power

jwin615

Quote from: gordo on August 05, 2023, 12:26:42 AM
One last thing.  The dog in my avatar is Dylan the Vylan for anyone on social.  I'm not on any form of social media but apparently he has quite the following and got his first modeling gig this week.

Everyone loves a good heel.
</dadjoke>