News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NGD

Started by jkokura, January 03, 2012, 09:17:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Brand Spankin new, and pretty dang cool!

I've never had a P90 guitar before, so I traded for this thing. It's immaculate, the guy who shipped it was great and packed it like it was fine china. Pretty stoked right now.

I should do a 'family' shot, but my guitars including this one are:

Alvarez Yari DY91 (2001)
Larivee LS-4 (80's)
Epiphone Dot (2008)
Parker P44 (2008)
PRS SE One Korina (2010)
Partscaster 1 (Strat project, unfinished)
Parts caster 2 (Tele project, unfinished)

Yikes. I need a Bass now, but I don't want to give anything up to get one!

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

JakeFuzz

Damn that whole setup is sexy  :o. How do you like that Concert? I've seen a few of those on the local market. That was Rivera era Fender right? Or was that the Concert II.

My buddy has a Gibson LP Junior with a P-90 in the bridge like that. Super dark compared to my typical strat's but it sounds really cool with bright Fender amps. Smooths out harsh distortions too. I've been looking for a P-90 equipped guitar for a while now.

jtn191

P-90s are great! I've got a SD Phat Cat in my SG-alike that replaced the stock humbucker. Best of the SC and HB worlds. I especially like P90s in the neck

jkokura

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 03, 2012, 09:27:58 PM
Damn that whole setup is sexy  :o. How do you like that Concert? I've seen a few of those on the local market. That was Rivera era Fender right? Or was that the Concert II.

Thanks! I'm digging it. I want to mod my PT-JR to add in pass through jacks that would allow me to use a volume pedal as an expression pedal, or as a part of a loop to do swells and things. Aside from that, this setup is pretty much my go to right now. I might switch out the reverb for something else in the future, like if Strymon does a "Skyline" or perhaps a Space or something like that. At that point I probably have to get a different powersupply to even run all of that.

That is a Concert 2. It is a Paul Rivera amp from when he was with Fender, and it rocks! Needs a cap job, and I'm looking into a mod kit that might do some good stuff to it. Apparantly there are dumble mods, but I can't get a clear understanding of what has to happen to do that. I haven't even cracked it open yet to see which caps need to be replaced. Waiting on my test setup to be done so I can switch out the concert for my Vibro Champ while I work on it.

Anyone have good plans for building a Chassis workstation?

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

JakeFuzz

That board has such a great arrangement of pedals. Is that a Sunking in the first position?

I need to try one of those Concerts. Ive heard those and the Champs of that era were awesome. Cap jobs are pretty simple. I did one on my Twin, replaced all the signal caps with orange drops. Swapped out the filter caps too; it is super quiet when idle.

Haha my chassis workstation is a 2x4 that has been cut at a slight angle and resawn down the center then bolted to a plywood base. I use short drywall screws to attach the whole chassis to the 2x4 uprights. Ghetto but it works and I built it in like 15 minutes.

mjcyates

Very nice guitar. Looks like it would be alot of fun to play.

nzCdog

Nice!  I love those PRS SE's... I have the 2 p90 version, very good quality for the price.
Enjoy 8)

sgmezei

Jacob send me your email. I have the build docs for the weber amp chassis. Had mine built with cherry and about to build my second dumble on it.

https://amptechtools.powweb.com/cradle.htm

Also, if you do the cap job just change ALL of them (well I have heard that, and some say). Then you know for sure. Some people just do the electrolytics, but you can test and see.

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

cool guitar jacob.  enjoy
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

juansolo

P90's *thumbs up*, favorite pups. I can usually freak people out with this oddity:

http://www.juansolo.demon.co.uk/misc/Guitars/SoS.jpg

Fender Stratosonic. Chambered mahogany body, loaded with BKP91's. Utterly perfect thing. Sounds somewhere between a Strat and an LP... Love it.

Had a PRS SE Soapbar II (that these pups came out of), amazing sounding thing. Far better than it's pricetag suggested. Shame I just couldn't get comfortable with it. :(

http://www.juansolo.demon.co.uk/misc/Guitars/Soapy.jpg
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jkokura

Quote from: JakeFuzz on January 03, 2012, 09:53:15 PM
That board has such a great arrangement of pedals. Is that a Sunking in the first position?

Yep, but it's not in first. I'll explain more about the chain.

It starts with the guitar, which is any of the ones I described above. From there I go to the Barber Comp which is almost always on. this helps give me consistent volume and tone between different guitars with different pickups. It evens things out and helps with that buffering issue. Next is the Micro POG, which is usually quite subtle bud adds that 'organ' like pad sort of sound while notes decay. Next is the JMKlon which is fantastic and usually set quite light. Next up is the Empress Tremolo, which while perhaps not the best enclosure or orientation I've ever seen, is packed with a lot of cool features. One of my favourite being the unique patterns you can choose from, besides the usual 1:1 up and down. Then I go to the Timeline, which I'm only starting to really use, but it's unbelievable the features. One thing I wish it had was an easier way to switch up and down between banks, because my feet are not quite wide enough to tap two switches simultaneously in a consistent way. Next up is the Boss RV-5, set to modulated reverb. I play with the effect level sometimes, but that's about it. Then the looper to the amp.

I'm working a trade right now that will get me a second Silverface Vibro Champ. I'm looking seriously at that point at switching to a stereo setup from the Timeline on to the Reverb and then to a spread with the two vibro champs. At that point, I'll look at getting a stereo looper, but the only one I'm really finding to be attractive to me is the Boomerang 3, and I don't like some of the features of the enclosure, nor that you can't 'save' loops. The Jamman Stereo is probably the next best, but again, some of the features of the Boomerang I'm really interested in aren't there. No perfect solution, but we'll see what happens.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

jkokura

Just to add, thought I'd upload a quick and dirty demo of what this new geetar and my other toys do.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

JakeFuzz

:o Damn that timeline is amazing. I really want one of those, sounds so spacious. I could probably sit and play for a week straight with that rig, ambient jams for days.

nzCdog

Nice video... chillaxing :)