News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

anybody run into this too? (dc jack content)

Started by jtn191, January 03, 2012, 09:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jtn191

So in my last few builds, I've discovered I had a bad batch of externally mounted dc jacks. IIRC, they're probably from Mammoth. The deal is: I'm not getting power to one of the two lugs...I've been countering this by jumpering one lug to the other

^no power on "to POS on PCB" but 9V are on "+9V Battery"
It's just a bummer because they're great to use when saving space

badgerific

I've had this problem with these style dc jacks and even had a few which just don't work. I tend to just jumper the two positive lugs whenever I build.

slimtriggers

Quote from: badgerific on January 03, 2012, 02:01:14 PM
I've had this problem with these style dc jacks and even had a few which just don't work. I tend to just jumper the two positive lugs whenever I build.

+1 I've been doing the same lately. 

G.G.

yes! I've ran into this several times and now I just jumper them both together. I had a simple 1 into 4 box made for my 1-Spot that refused to work, messed with it on & off for months, then I finally figured out the jacks were bad. Extremely frustrating.

cjkbug

ditto, I am thinking of trying the new jacks at small bear
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=1216

they look pretty rugged
I got blisters on my fingers!!!

greyscales

I've had this problem too. I wasn't able to always jumper mine, but usually it would work.

It has definitely been an annoyance when I like external jacks so much more than internal.

badgerific

Quote from: cjkbug on January 03, 2012, 04:28:44 PM
ditto, I am thinking of trying the new jacks at small bear
http://www.smallbearelec.com/Detail.bok?no=1216

they look pretty rugged

Be careful with these, it looks like you might have to insulate the jack from the case as the jack is metal.

jimmybjj

Not sure but the pic implicates that it comes with insulated washers.
Pcbs no longer available

gordo

+1 with the Mammoth ones.  It's been sporadic (so far only a few out of an order of 50) but it seems to be based on a loose connection with the rivet holding the ground lug.  If you squash it (carefully) with a pair of vise grips, channel-locks, or pliers it should solve the problem.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

TNblueshawk

I'm thinking about going back to external. Are you positive these came from Mammoth?
John

jtn191

yeah I am now, that's where I buy most stuff from.

Quote from: gordo on January 06, 2012, 02:59:46 AM
+1 with the Mammoth ones.  It's been sporadic (so far only a few out of an order of 50) but it seems to be based on a loose connection with the rivet holding the ground lug.  If you squash it (carefully) with a pair of vise grips, channel-locks, or pliers it should solve the problem.

But I'm gonna do this from now on