News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Backfeeder- Boss distortion/feedbacker

Started by Thewintersoldier, May 03, 2023, 02:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

Here is one that took a 3 times to get boxed up. I really hope to build this one last time as Robert has plans of revisiting the circuit with intelligent relay bypass. So here is my backfeeder, the boss super feedbacker and distortion.

This build became a bit of a white whale for me. I built two different ppcb boards and had ppl noise present on both at all times. I even started a troubleshooting thread but no fix, and I was one of many with the issue. So in a moment of weakness I ordered the pcbguitarmania board that they stole from Robert while I was ordering my metal zone board. This one works...well 95% there at least. There is the occasional noise from analyzing the note, mainly on a long note decay but for the most part I really like what this is doing.

So what's this sound like and who is it for? The distortion is a modernized DS-1 like circuit that I actually liked so much I ordered the standalone defouler board. The main event is the feedbacker section. As a mainly IR/reactive load speakerless player, being able to fake feedback was awesome. While not perfect in execution or completely practical in all context, I think that if Robert does the relay bypass this will be epic. The momentary switch is less than ideal but it works for now. The feedback is limited to single notes, chords don't register how you would want and playing over held notes is not perfect but more an effect itself. But if you are going direct like me, this can be a great way to make some cool effects. I especially like the wobble that starts the feedback like it would IRL.

The build requires lots of components and I did teepee some bat46 and 4148s to get the originals diodes .9fv and a better output level. Other than that it's a big build that's crammed and requires attention to detail. For the enclosure I stuck with the backfeeder name because I HAD to use this design. Matte Black enclosure with UV printing. I have been wanting to use Magik (🥵🥵🥵) forever and this was the perfect project. One of her powers is energy manipulation...like back feeding power. Love how this one came together. I recommend this project with the caveat that you wait for the new version. Video clip showing the feedback during testing.

Who the hell is Bucky?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 03, 2023, 02:46:32 PM
I did teepee some bat46 and 4148s to get the originals diodes .9fv and a better output level.

Am I missing this somewhere? Looks like all the diodes are singles lying flat.

Sweet build none the less  8)

jessenator

Right on, Chris! And props for sticking with a project you really want to work—serious tenacity right there.

Also, I haven't seen Illyana's depiction since the OG Jim Lee days, but I have to agree with your sentiment on the matter

Even though it's not "real feedback" like you say, I think it's a neat effect on its own. How does it sound at lower distortion or gain levels?
[NOBODY CARED ABOUT THAT]

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 03, 2023, 03:20:02 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 03, 2023, 02:46:32 PM
I did teepee some bat46 and 4148s to get the originals diodes .9fv and a better output level.

Am I missing this somewhere? Looks like all the diodes are singles lying flat.

Sweet build none the less  8)

There we go, now it's visible 😂

Quote from: jessenator on May 03, 2023, 03:25:09 PM

Right on, Chris! And props for sticking with a project you really want to work—serious tenacity right there.

Also, I haven't seen Illyana's depiction since the OG Jim Lee days, but I have to agree with your sentiment on the matter

Even though it's not "real feedback" like you say, I think it's a neat effect on its own. How does it sound at lower distortion or gain levels?
I wouldn't want to have to fight her brother either lol she's a bad girl for sure and can handle her own. She's on par with strange and clea imo.

As for lower and mid gain, it does surprisingly well I found.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 03, 2023, 04:12:25 PM

There we go, now it's visible 😂

My apologies sir! Looks like I need to call the optometrist  8)

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: Govmnt_Lacky on May 03, 2023, 04:58:43 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 03, 2023, 04:12:25 PM

There we go, now it's visible

My apologies sir! Looks like I need to call the optometrist  8)

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Was the noise you were talking about on this one the 60 cycle hum?

Smoking build man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on May 03, 2023, 07:26:35 PM
Was the noise you were talking about on this one the 60 cycle hum?

Smoking build man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, the noise I was talking about was a rhythmic noise from the pll side of the circuit
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bret608

The feedback effect sounds good! I was curious how it came across in actual use. Someone in a band I like (Swervedriver) uses a really old original one of these, but it's more or less broken and gives this crazy sound when you use the feedback (which I think is what he's after). I like the distortion too.

jwin615