News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

FIEND | Effects Layouts Horde Howler

Started by jessenator, April 24, 2023, 04:32:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jessenator

Here's pt II of the favorite game series pedal ...series.

Originally I had only planned on these two. I was thinking about how similar Joshua Graham and Driver Nephi are from an upbringing perspective. Both New Canaanites, both (probably) sent out to serve and preach, and both caught up in the worst of the Wasteland in the process. Both walked a path to ruin and darkness and, sadly, only one returned to the light (mostly...).

Inspired by Thewintersoldier, I went for an Effects Layouts Horde Howler, built in the fashion of the SD-1. Opted for that circuit first with possibly doing another build down the road. I had heard shootouts between TS variants and the SD-1 sounded a touch more versatile. I really have to shout out Storyboardist here for this board: making it in a way that it's easy to build-to-order, so to speak.

I wanted to have it distressed to a degree, but felt if I was paying for a nice UV print, I'll let the art do the talking there. Unlike the ZION pedal with its full top coverage of varnish, the FIEND has its varnish gloss layer following the color layer with its jagged edges.

The knobs, though, is where I could have a lot of fun. Haven't gotten out the paint in a while, so it was fun to get dirty. The knobs in the photos are all full CCW, but the intentionally skewed ones could be frustrating, so I may put them back to normal. The black knob took a chisel, a hammer, yella spray paint, a jar full of screws and sand paper. It was fun  :)  The top-left knob came from some bit of vintage electronics I had hoarded a long time ago, thinking I would use, but they were knurled/splined. Thankfully(?) Tayda was out of smooth shaft pots in one value I needed, so I just made them all splined, and snugged down the set screws on the other two.

Thank you for visiting...

(and for looking)

jimilee

Daaaaammmn that's sharp!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

WonkoTheSane

That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

jessenator

WonkoTheSane

Invertiguy

Man, you have been knocking it out of the park with these New Vegas themed pedals! That thing looks amazing! I particularly love what you did with the mismatched/aged knobs, it really fits with the chaotic nature of the fiends. I can't wait to see what you cook up next!
Doomsday Devices

jessenator

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 26, 2023, 03:47:17 AM
Man, you have been knocking it out of the park with these New Vegas themed pedals! That thing looks amazing! I particularly love what you did with the mismatched/aged knobs, it really fits with the chaotic nature of the fiends. I can't wait to see what you cook up next!
Thanks, dude! I've got a few ideas, but they'll need some time to percolate. Work's been kicking my butt, so it's slowed down. My completed board backlog is also  ...needing an inspection. I think since last year I just went HAM on this whole thing. Don't want to burn out.

Thewintersoldier

awesome build. I wish more people would embrace a theme, I think it brings out the creativity and makes the work more inspiring. Also, SD-1>TS
Who the hell is Bucky?

jessenator

[
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 26, 2023, 12:01:26 PM
awesome build. I wish more people would embrace a theme, I think it brings out the creativity and makes the work more inspiring. Also, SD-1>TS
Thanks, Chris! This is still an evolution, but I'm starting to hone in. Also going to see what I can do by hand, if it'll work. The next one might be doable with a simple mask. We'll see.

Bio77

That looks awesome!   I went on an internet research trip for a few hours learning about Fallout, very cool.  8)

jessenator

Quote from: Bio77 on April 26, 2023, 07:48:26 PM
That looks awesome!   I went on an internet research trip for a few hours learning about Fallout, very cool.  8)
If you're the gaming type, I highly recommend the series. The first two might be considered primitive compared to modern day interfaces, but they're enjoyable and well written.

3 is a decent first step into the 3D/FPS style world, still retains some of the bigger RPG mechanics—it's almost Elder Scrolls Oblivion but in the post apocalypse. Like how I feel with most Bethesda-developed titles, LOTS of stuff, some of it really neat and moving, a bit disjointed narratively, and a bit too "hallway" in some parts.

New Vegas is my all-time favorite on every front.

4 is more FPS; it has some RPG elements, but it definitely focuses more on the action side.

We... we don't talk about 76  : P

Alright enough of my soapbox evangelizing

Willybomb

How are you getting such good colours on a black enclosure?  I haven't found Tayda's colour registration to be super sharp when going over a white base the same shape as the top image.  They never really get the two lined up properly.

Quote3 is a decent first step into the 3D/FPS style world, still retains some of the bigger RPG mechanics—it's almost Elder Scrolls Oblivion but in the post apocalypse. Like how I feel with most Bethesda-developed titles, LOTS of stuff, some of it really neat and moving, a bit disjointed narratively, and a bit too "hallway" in some parts.

I feel like Fallout 3 and on are more like Oblivion reskins than anything else.

jessenator

Quote from: Willybomb on April 26, 2023, 10:55:14 PM
How are you getting such good colours on a black enclosure?  I haven't found Tayda's colour registration to be super sharp when going over a white base the same shape as the top image.  They never really get the two lined up properly.

Quote3 is a decent first step into the 3D/FPS style world, still retains some of the bigger RPG mechanics—it's almost Elder Scrolls Oblivion but in the post apocalypse. Like how I feel with most Bethesda-developed titles, LOTS of stuff, some of it really neat and moving, a bit disjointed narratively, and a bit too "hallway" in some parts.

I feel like Fallout 3 and on are more like Oblivion reskins than anything else.

I've been sort of leaning into the fact that registration is never quite on. Lighter ones, sure, they'll do just fine and you don't notice. In illustrator there's an option called "Offset Path" and I do it by like s fraction of a millimeter, so it still maintains its shape but has wiggle room.

For the most part I've seemed to have had decent luck. The darker enclosure projects over done were a bit more chaotic overall, now I think about it...

I think with the FIEND it wouldn't have mattered, tbh, since it's VERY chaotic anyway.

I'll have to agree to disagree regarding Fallout ;) I can't stand Oblivion, truth be told, but I've got 1,100 hrs and counting on FNV. I live in the southwest (kinda), so there's that, too. 

WonkoTheSane

Not into Oblivion, played Skyrim a bunch, preferred older stuff like Daggerfall tbh.

For Fallout, Tale of Two Wastelands or nothing. But I have 5x the hours you do and NV bores me to death other than the DLC. Honest Hearts is my least favorite of them, and Dead Money is my favorite bit of Fallout out of all of it.

Anyways, this has drifted way off topic...

So how are those hot little potatoes?