News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chroma- Boss Spectrum SP-1

Started by Thewintersoldier, April 03, 2023, 11:34:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

This build report is inspired by @Paradox916 and his challenge to challenge yourself. I'm challenged already so what's wrong with a little more🤷. This is the Aion chroma, based on the Boss Spectrum which fits the autism awareness challenge perfectly.

The spectrum is a single band parametric EQ pedal. One of the first 3 pedals in the compact boss pedals line released in the late 70s, this pedal is unique in that it can only boost the band selected and not cut like modern EQ pedals. The spectrum knob sweeps the band to be boosted, the balance knob is a mix knob between the wet and dry signals and the volume knob was added because the original didn't have one and could get out of hand depending on the frequency boosted. This can add a lot of sounds to a drive pedal or amp and I like to use it like a fixed wah.

For the challenge, I have never deconstructed a potentiometer to make a custom dual gang pot with different tapers on each gang. I had to use a 10ka dual gang and a 10ka pot to make the custom 10ka/10kc taper dual gang. It was a fun challenge and now I see why this is not a pedal that is readily available lol.

The build other than the pot was pretty basic. Low parts count and simple assembly. Matte white tayda enclosure and UV printing. I went with photon aka spectrum for a spectrum pedal and I really love how this one turned out. I recommend the pedal as it has lots of cool sounds but with the caveat that you are comfortable making the custom pot. It was worth it for the sake of the challenge, and again look forward to seeing the other entries, thanks again to Rob for the motivation and cause behind it.

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Nice, as always. Wondered what that pedal does, now I know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

I know I sound like a broken record, but I have to say it, your shit is always so damn CLEAN looking. Phenomenal! I legitimately think my challenge to myself is going to be to take my time and craft something as clean as your projects. Stellar!

Bio77

Bananas, Chris! 

Not sure if you've seen pickdropper's stuff, but the white PCB and precision is giving that vibe.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jessenator on April 03, 2023, 05:37:56 PM
I know I sound like a broken record, but I have to say it, your shit is always so damn CLEAN looking. Phenomenal! I legitimately think my challenge to myself is going to be to take my time and craft something as clean as your projects. Stellar!

If I can do it anyone can lol. No seriously, anyone can. It's not hard, after a couple hundred builds you you be doing it. Finding the right solder and technique was the game changer. Do it, I dare you! And thanks for the kind words, a lot of people only comment on enclosures, the build itself is what matters most to me.

Quote from: Bio77 on April 03, 2023, 07:55:53 PM
Bananas, Chris! 

Not sure if you've seen pickdropper's stuff, but the white PCB and precision is giving that vibe.
Good greif John, blasphemous mentioning anything I've ever done in the same post as pickdropper. Dude is a legend and a true inspiration. Also thanks, now I gotta figure how to get my head through the damn doorway now haha
Who the hell is Bucky?

jjjimi84

Daaaammmmmmnnnnnnn looking so good!!!

selfdestroyer

Super clean! Love the artwork also.

WonkoTheSane

Very very nice!

Where did you score a JRC 3403? I can only find NJM ones.
That which burns twice as bright, burns half as long.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 03, 2023, 11:05:35 PM
Daaaammmmmmnnnnnnn looking so good!!!
Thanks Dan

Quote from: selfdestroyer on April 04, 2023, 04:27:23 PM
Super clean! Love the artwork also.
Thanks, the more sparse the board is, the harder it is to keep it clean looking

Quote from: WonkoTheSane on April 05, 2023, 06:33:03 AM
Very very nice!

Where did you score a JRC 3403? I can only find NJM ones.
I bought them from Aion when I was buying boards.
Who the hell is Bucky?

lars

What does it sound like when you sweep the spectrum knob while playing? Could this be a good candidate for an expression pedal mod?

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: lars on April 08, 2023, 05:03:28 PM
What does it sound like when you sweep the spectrum knob while playing? Could this be a good candidate for an expression pedal mod?
It'll sound kinda like a wah sweeping.
Who the hell is Bucky?