News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

El Guapo fuzz and transistors

Started by harryklippton, February 05, 2023, 05:28:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harryklippton

I'm working on an old board for the El Guapo fuzz. I bought 2 2N3565 transistors and decided to check their HFE before soldering them in. I found that they're wildly different. One was about 500 and the other one was maybe 290ish. Any recommendations on which I should put in Q1 and Q2?

jessenator

Looking at s few older posts, over seen things like the 5088 and 3904 suggested. Is there something about those 3565 Si jobbies that's desirable for that circuit?

From a post regarding the Pepper Spray
Quote from: midwayfair on June 02, 2014, 08:23:04 PM
2N5088, 2N3904, etc.

However, in some circumstances, the 2N3565 seems to produce a slight octave effect, and this has only been observed in older (and lower gain) pieces. In other words, I wouldn't worry about it and would just use any transistor with hfe ~200-300.

Like I said, I always assumed Si BJTs were a bit more on the plain jane side of characteristics and that Germs were the magic beans.

Is there any reference as to what the original needs/wants?

harryklippton

I only bought the 2N3565 because they were available and look cute, but I'd put whatever transistors are of a favorable hfe value in instead.  I don't know anything about this circuit  either 🤷

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on February 05, 2023, 03:25:12 PM
I only bought the 2N3565 because they were available and look cute, but I'd put whatever transistors are of a favorable hfe value in instead.  I don't know anything about this circuit  either
Look cute....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jessenator

The pragmatist in me would say split the difference, but the original datasheet has a min of 120 and max of 750 which puts you at 435. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Maybe socket it and try a few different values? ~200 and ~500 to see what results you get/like the most?

Small sample sizes here

Out of 70, the motorola 3904s I have hit mostly 140 or 170 (scattered in between).

The name-brand (Fairchild I think?) 5088s actually do sit right around 430 (from the 6 or so pieces I have left)

But the Tayda mystery surprise varieties are almost a linear line of non-matching indecision.

jessenator

One other thing I just thought of: in some analysis of the Superfuzz circuit, the bias trimmer was so you could adjust for the difference in hFE values for the "matched pair" since I don't think they could match precisely (or bother to match them). But, *sigh* the pics I've found of the el Guapo don't seem to show a trimmer.

I also thought about the Madbean LETFA, but it simply suggests using the 3565s. My brief skim didn't show values in the documentation.

jessenator