News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Archibald Capacitor Question

Started by joelorigo, January 30, 2023, 07:29:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

joelorigo

Hello! My first post.
I recently bought the Archibald PCB and I'm about to start building it. I see that the build document lists 1 470pf electrolytic cap as 25v and 2 that are 16v. These are C16, C24 & C25.  I don't see any indication in the document or on the PCB as to which one needs to be the 25v.

mauman

Welcome!  That info is on the schematic: C16 is the 25V, C24/C25 are the 16V. 

As long as they will tolerate the 12V bus voltage, anything would be fine - they could all be 16V, or 25V, or 50V.  Higher voltage caps may last a few years longer, or be slightly better in other ways, but they're also usually larger and cost a bit more. 

joelorigo

Ohh d'oh! Of course. Well there's my first post, a complete noob question.

Thank you for answering!

joelorigo

And with the 1mH inductor, there is no polarity? First time I've used this part.

madbean

Quote from: joelorigo on January 30, 2023, 09:19:16 PM
And with the 1mH inductor, there is no polarity? First time I've used this part.

No inductors do not have polarity.

joelorigo

joelorigo

Not about capacitors, but I just realized that the power supply I was going to use with the Archibald is center +. Eek! good thing I thought of this in advance. What is a good 12v power supply out there?

EDIT: I'm finding many of the 12v ones are center positive. I did see this:
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/1SpotCYR--truetone-1-spot-reverse-polarity-converter

Is that something I can use with my 12v 750mA center positive supply to power the Archibald. Actually, I think I actually have one from a Godlyke Power All that I bought a long time ago.

jimilee

Seems like the ma needed are in the build doc, you may need more than that, I can't remember right off, or it may be the other tube drive.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

joelorigo

Yep, it suggests a 500mA. I'm questioning polarity, assuming that it is center negative like most pedals.

EDIT: I now see in the schematic it says center negative.

jimilee

Quote from: joelorigo on January 31, 2023, 09:31:48 PM
Yep, it suggests a 500mA. I'm questioning polarity, assuming that it is center negative like most pedals.

EDIT: I now see in the schematic it says center negative.
Sorry about that. You can pretty much assume everything is center negative unless it's a fuzz or a deluxe memory man.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

joelorigo

No worries. I'm having trouble finding a center negative 12v supply.  I have an unused 12v 750mA center POSITIVE.

Do you know if I can use the polarity coverer above?

Or this one?
https://www.amazon.com/Voodoo-Lab-Reverse-Polarity-Barrel/dp/B00ADWTYWU/ref=sr_1_3?crid=T8TREUYK7E4M&keywords=voodoo+lab+polarity&qid=1675201352&sprefix=voodoolab+polaity%2Caps%2C108&sr=8-3

mauman

Yes, either one of the polarity converter cables you linked to will work.  And you couldn't make one yourself for less than $2.99...

joelorigo

Thanks guys. It turns out I have 2 of the red adapters from the Godlyke Power All I have, and a one with a red end that came with my Pedal Power 2+. I never used them and I'm glad I saved them.

joelorigo

jimilee

That will work, but you're gonna want to eventually get a decent power supply for yourself. Those universal adapter can sometimes act a little wonky and introduce artifacts into your sound. Someone was troubleshooting theirs because of that very thing, turned out to be a similar power supply.