News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3 Quick Q's about the Setback Delay

Started by SugarKeys, January 29, 2023, 11:47:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SugarKeys

I'm very happy with this Setback build, which I posted about last month in the "Build Report" section.

https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=34453.0

Here's a demo video where I compare it to a stock version of the (totally unrelated) MXR Analog Delay; I used the case of a dead one for my build. I chose the Setback because it's also a 3-knob delay with about 300 ms max delay time

I want to make some improvements, and would like to know if they sound doable

• There's a pronounced volume drop in the dry signal path on my Setback. Is this expected, or should I adjust R2 or R6? Or perhaps swap in a different LM1458?

• I'd like to fill the second output hole in the case with a "Delay Only" signal. The behavior of the MXR is that the "Output" jack always carries a dry/wet mix as determined by the Mix knob, and the "Delay Only" jack always carries just the wet signal at full volume with no regard to the Mix knob. So to get full wet/full dry on the outputs you set Mix at zero. There does not appear to be any jack switching going on. Should I be able to tap another output directly from R33? Or do I need a separate output buffer?

• Finally, I was able to crank the CLOCK trimmer full counter-clockwise without getting any undesirable artifacts at all (even on my scope), reaching a max of 366 ms. Maybe I got a good MN3005? Or a good compander chip? I'm wondering if I can squeeze even longer delays out. The Setback's repeats are very bright compared to my MXR's, so I'd be OK with rolling off more highs. I'm running at 12V so I have R40 = 2M2. Can I increase this for even longer delays? Would adjusting the filter/compander help with this?

Thanks for watching, this was my first build in many years and I'm really pleased with the result!

harryklippton