News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Recording at home with a "basic" PC connected DAW?

Started by LaceSensor, October 24, 2022, 09:22:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Hi yall

PReface - the last time I recorded any guitar on my PC I was using a Line6 guitar port(!) and Adobe Audition.
I appreciate things have moved on!

Question - can anyone recommend me a place to start where I can do a basic multitrack recording (only me mostly, so doesnt need more than one input necessarily) into some decentish software for not "mega bucks"?

Where would be a good starting point?

thanks!

midwayfair

Go on Ebay or Reverb and get basically anything from Focusrite, Yamaha, MOTU, Universal Audio, etc. I don't know exactly what your budget is but those are all available under $200.

Don't agonize over the decision, they're all essentially the same and the differences are highly unlikely to matter when you're just recording guitar direct or through a single microphone. Just get one and start using it. You can probably sell it later for about the same as you paid for it if you decide you want to upgrade.

LaceSensor

Quote from: midwayfair on October 24, 2022, 11:07:32 PM
Go on Ebay or Reverb and get basically anything from Focusrite, Yamaha, MOTU, Universal Audio, etc. I don't know exactly what your budget is but those are all available under $200.

Don't agonize over the decision, they're all essentially the same and the differences are highly unlikely to matter when you're just recording guitar direct or through a single microphone. Just get one and start using it. You can probably sell it later for about the same as you paid for it if you decide you want to upgrade.

sounds good. Thanks for the heads up
budget sounds right for a toe dip

KR Sound

KR Sound

Quote from: LaceSensor on October 25, 2022, 08:03:59 PM
Quote from: homebrewtj on October 24, 2022, 11:43:15 PM
This is what you need:

https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/ScarSG3--focusrite-scarlett-solo-3rd-gen-usb-audio-interface

https://www.reaper.fm/

And then find any multitude of paid or open source guitar and amp sims or mic your amp and you're golden!

Good info, thanks

I am thinking to go for this one, the slight step up
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Focusrite-Scarlett-2i2-Audio-Interface/dp/B07QR73T66/ref=sr_1_3?crid=XHQR38JEOB2C&keywords=Scarlett+2i2&qid=1666728186&qu=eyJxc2MiOiIyLjAxIiwicXNhIjoiMS41MCIsInFzcCI6IjEuMzQifQ%3D%3D&s=musical-instruments&sprefix=scarlett+2i2+%2Cmi%2C100&sr=1-3
Right on- that's the one I have and it's perfect for getting started.

Get yourself a decent set of studio monitors also or some good headphones. Both will sound different, but not that big of a deal for just getting started and getting some tracks laid down. Good luck!

lars

Ardour.
It's free. It works with any interface I've ever thrown at it. And it consistently works.
Funny that the other rubbish they charge tons of money for doesn't.

LaceSensor

Quote from: lars on October 27, 2022, 02:14:55 AM
Ardour.
It's free. It works with any interface I've ever thrown at it. And it consistently works.
Funny that the other rubbish they charge tons of money for doesn't.

thanks for the heads up. Free is good to try