News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Gibson Burstdriver 2017

Started by HalfLife, August 21, 2022, 04:32:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HalfLife

I recently viewed a video featuring the 2017 Gibson Burstdriver circuit.
There are actually 2 circuits within the control cavity: 1) A boost module (which I believe I have the schematic) and 2) The overdrive module.

The overdrive module is extremely clearly labeled for assembly, with all but the cap values, and 3 pots being easily identified.

Does anyone have any information or resources regarding this 2017 board? It seems uncommon at best.

(The video: https://youtu.be/8zhzInZOiTE)

jimilee

I've been looking for this schematic too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Interesting... First time hearing of this. The 4558 and 51pf cap looks like a tubescreamer but with Marshall style red/green led clipping.

Here are the values that can be seen:

R1 - 2M2
R2 - 470k
R3 - 4k7
R4 - 51k
R5 - 1k
R6 - 10k
R7 - 220R
R8 - 1k
R9 - 10k
R10 - 10k
R11 - 10k
R12 - 10k

C1 - 47n
C2 - ? (47n)
C3 - 51p
C4 - ? (220n)
C5 - ? (220n)
C6 - 1u
C7 - 47u

LED1 - Green
LED2 - Red

IC1 - 4558

TrimPOT LEVEL- ? (100k)
TrimPOT TONE - ? (20k)
TrimPOT GAIN - B250k

jimilee

Quote from: Aentons on August 28, 2022, 01:04:03 AM
Interesting... First time hearing of this. The 4558 and 51pf cap looks like a tubescreamer but with Marshall style red/green led clipping.
You make a very good observation...hmmm.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Also, R4 is 51k which is an odd value associated with the TS. This is likely more of a Son of Screamer due to lack of IO buffers

https://www.muzique.com/tech/scream.htm

HalfLife

Here is the schematic of the boost circuit I found online

The boost circuit is attached to a volume pot iirc. The boost effect is available for 'drop-in' replacement from Rare Buzz effects - called the 'Krinklebine'

I find the connector between the 2 circuits interesting.

Aentons

Quote from: HalfLife on August 21, 2022, 04:32:41 AM
There are actually 2 circuits within the control cavity: 1) A boost module (which I believe I have the schematic) and 2) The overdrive module.
No, there is just one overdrive circuit

Quote from: HalfLife on August 28, 2022, 06:34:41 PM
Here is the schematic of the boost circuit I found online

The boost circuit is attached to a volume pot iirc. The boost effect is available for 'drop-in' replacement from Rare Buzz effects - called the 'Krinklebine'

I find the connector between the 2 circuits interesting.

The circuit attached to the push pot is not a boost, it's just the switching and connectors for the other board. I've never heard of the boost circuit and it is not present in the guitar in the video.

jimilee

Right, it's an actual drive with a drive, a volume and at least a tone pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Aentons

I noted the values in the previous post above and compared them against the Son of Screamer schematic values and they are very close. I would imagine Gibson pretty much copied it and used the asymmetric led clipping for a different flavor

JackSkellington

In the video we can read printed on the PCB the trimmer value of the Level: B250k.
And C1 is labelled 473, so it's 47nF.
C1 looks similar to C2, maybe it's a 47nF.

I drawn this, I can't be sure about the schematic, but I think there's no too much schematics with those value and that number of parts.
The only component I can't place is a R10 10k. I don't know where it could be, except to the Level pot to avoid to goes to the ground cutting the volume. Or? In parallel with the pot? I bet it's placed near the end of the signal.

«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

Aentons

Quote from: JackSkellington on August 31, 2022, 09:18:07 AM
In the video we can read printed on the PCB the trimmer value of the Level: B250k.
And C1 is labelled 473, so it's 47nF.
C1 looks similar to C2, maybe it's a 47nF.
Good eye!
The B250k label is actually on the Gain pot.

Trimpots are all B taper, so the taper is not usually specified, so that's odd. For a TS, it would normally be an 500k A taper, so maybe that's why, who knows...

I'd be surprised if the Level pot is anything but a 100k.

I'll add the new values to the list above and put the educated guesses in parenthesis.

Aentons

Quote from: JackSkellington on August 31, 2022, 09:18:07 AM
The only component I can't place is a R10 10k. I don't know where it could be, except to the Level pot to avoid to goes to the ground cutting the volume. Or? In parallel with the pot? I bet it's placed near the end of the signal.
It looks like R9 and R10 should be connected to the same pin of the level pot.

JackSkellington

Yes, the B250k is the Gain. ::)

I noticed R9 and R10, and I though R10 could be in parallel with the Level pot, now.

The other two red caps, because those are bigger than the other two, they could be 220nF. Especially if the tone stage is like the TS.

(Am I wrong or I hear a lot of gain, for a LED soft clipping, 250k gain pot and a P90 pickup? Even when the Gain trimmer is set at zero I heard much overdrive. My DIY TS808 in LED mode cleans up well at lower gain setting.)

HalfLife

Thank you all for the detective work.
I'm gonna try this after a quick visit to smallbear/mouser.

You guys are amazing.

JackSkellington

Well, tell us about your testing. :)
I think I have to wait a bit to do some DIY stuff.