News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Quick question about finishing Clear Decals

Started by k.rock!, December 25, 2011, 07:54:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

OK, so even though I've done this a bunch of times, I haven't found THE best way to finalize the full-face graphics with clear spray onto the pedal enclosure.

My question is, do any of you recommend to cut the holes on the graphics FIRST, and THEN spray the clear? Or apply the graphics FIRST and THEN cut out the holes with a razor?

Just wanna hear some feedback from you wise people before I finish my Dad's Christmas present (late i know..) :)

Thanks!

Merry Christmas dudes and girls

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

I usually cut the decal holes out before clear coating. However, I don't use a spray method so I don't know if that makes a difference.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

k.rock!

see, here's my problem...(see the pic) I think the problem is that as the clear dries, it slides the decal off the enclosure, causing it to wrinkle like that...it's so frustrating!

-K
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jkokura

What kind of decal are you using? Does it need time to dry and adhere to the enclosure? In my case I use clear vinyl decal stock which is essentially a big sticker. Because it's a sticker, i have to give it a few days to dry and adhere to the enclosure before clear coating it, otherwise it comes of the enclosure as I bake it my clear coating process.

It looks to me like you need to use something else to clear coat with because it's 'shrinking' as it dries. Because of that, it's bringing up the decal. Alternatively, you can try and give your decal more drying time so that it's adhered to the enclosure better. Just my thoughts.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

TNblueshawk

Holy smokes Krock I've never seen one do that.

First things first. +1 to what Jacob asked...what kind of decal is that? Water slide, vinyl, something else?

I use An epoxy now but used to use lacquer. Either way the day I would decal I would never clear coat until the following day.
John

eldanko

Hmmm.. I have that problem with t-shirt transfers, but not with waterslides.  The T-shirt transfer problem has to do with the transfer reacting badly to the type of clearcoat that is used.  So far, the only one that garners no reaction at all is polyurethane... which is cool except that it tends to yellow if you use it for more than a couple of coats...
www.danekinser.com - Music, Builds, other nonsense