News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

builders that are notoriously friendly to the DIY community?

Started by ckim715, December 23, 2011, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ckim715

I was over at FSB, and although I don't spend too much time there, I notice that there are a handful of boutique builders who are held in very high regard that contribute regularly. The three that I've seen are Marc of Skreddy Pedals, Brian Wampler (indyguitarist), and Paul Cochrane. Any that I am missing?

I find it very cool that although they won't divulge ALL the info, they generally lend a hand in dissection and schematic. It makes me want to purchase their products even more to support them.
-Charlie

LaceSensor

Jorge Tripps of WayHuge / Dunlop is pretty helpful
Bjorn Juhl of BJFe / Mad Professor / Bearfoot takes the time to explain lots
The guy who does MidFi often gives some feedback on dissections

mjcyates

David Barber pops in from time to time and he provided the schematic for the Silver LTD.

sgmezei

I think the folks at Catalinbread support DIY. Heard a rumour they might even offer kits. Again thats just a rumour and dont know how old it is.

juansolo

Brian M (I think it is) of Subdecay also.

There's a lot of Brians in stomp boxing I've noticed...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

juansolo

Quote from: sgmezei on December 23, 2011, 09:08:08 PM
I think the folks at Catalinbread support DIY. Heard a rumour they might even offer kits. Again thats just a rumour and dont know how old it is.

I think that they have a sensible attitude towards it. Rather than spouting idiotic nonsense that we're terrorists out to destroy their livelyhood. Which is why when I was asked to make an SFT clone recently I told them to buy a real one. They're in production, sensibly priced, pretty awesome and they'd be able to sell it on later if they wanted to more easily.

However I made someone a Les Lius clone. What with it being an Electra Distortion with a random stamp on it that passes as finishing, and is marketed with the most rediculous bullshit I've ever read. So I suppose I'm selectively hypocritical myself really...

raulduke

Yeah Catalinbread is good stuff that is sensibly priced IMO. Wampler, Subdecay and Skreddy are all very helpfull and open on FSB. I would buy any of these guys pedals.

FSB used to be a cauldron of hate towards most builders IMO. It seems to have calmed down a hell of a lot in recent times. I think some of the more vindictive (but knowlegable) people have left the forum over the last year making it a more pleasant place for builders to post.

stecykmi

ya FSB used to be really bad... they're still pretty brutal builders who (by their reckoning) charge too much for their work, especially those who do sub-standard work. i have to admit in some cases i agree with them, especially for overpriced, poorly-built rehashes of big muffs, tubescreamers and fuzz faces.

anyway, devi from effector 13/devi ever fx has been pretty friendly to diy folks, she's released old designs schems, etc... ironically, i've noticed she's been criticized for her build quality over at FSB, lol

spy590

Quote from: ckim715 on December 23, 2011, 08:24:59 PM
It makes me want to purchase their products even more to support them.

+1 on this. I'm a fan of Wampler pedals and although I would love to see some bean builds based on his work, i will gladly purchase his pedals. I just scooped up a Pinnacle last week in a combo deal plus a polysaturator, although it was on the used market rather than new.

juansolo

Agree with you both on FSB. Brilliant resource, but if you spend too long there, it leaves a bitter taste. I tend not to bother (unless I'm looking for something in particular) and stick with the friendlier forums for banter. Mostly here now with a little bit of BYOC and DIYSB.

timbo_93631

When the Suhr Riot was traced John Suhr popped up and cleared up a few mistakes and was generally super cool.  He offered the use of his PCB CNC machine to DIY'ers as well.  I thought the way he behaved was really commendable.
Sunday Musical Instruments LLC.
Sunday Handwound Pickups

jimmybjj

Quote from: sgmezei on December 23, 2011, 09:08:08 PM

Looks like they are available.

http://www.catalinbread.com/kits/
Pcbs no longer available

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

mjcyates

Quotepretty lame marketing hype...

Agree, I wouldn't buy any for that reason alone.

Scruffie

I wouldn't buy it cause international shipping is nearly $25!

Otherwise I see no issue with it... other than it seems to be trying to insult you in to buying it.
Works at Lectric-FX