News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

builders that are notoriously friendly to the DIY community?

Started by ckim715, December 23, 2011, 08:24:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jkokura

Looks like a quality product, and I appreciate that they're trying to make it 'fun' for the builder. It fits the vein of DIY and Catalainbread, even if it isn't our taste. Their links were broken trying to look at the documentation.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

crash

After searching through the various forums, I see Skreddy and Wampler helping people out quite often.  Even when people are trying to trace one of their pedals. 

madbean

I think the "F--k this, you build it" thing is kinda funny. Probably a little too tongue and cheek for the average consumer who most likely has no clue about some of the history between DIY and pedal makers.

Nic seems like a very genuine guy from the few conversations I've had with him...I think he's just having some fun.

mjcyates

It is kind of funny and I think I understand where he is coming from. I just don't like it being used to market the product.

lloyd17

I had some stuff typed up but being kind of hardline against builders and advertising lately [exceptions being dave barber and paulc and a few others] it was deleted in the interest of fairness. To the end:

In all this is a positive step IMO especially when a builder lets a circuit go out of production. Some of these guys understand that hobbyists are not the threat, it's really D*n*l*ctr* and L*v*p*d*l that can kill them.

plesur

For a company that is named after a phallic painting of a loaf of spanish bread, I would think the bad language and jokes can be expected  :)

Their video is pretty good, especially when the yakety sax kicks in.

I think it's good that they are putting out the old discontinued pedals in kit form. The PCBs look pretty good quality, and it's cool how they snap in half to give you a switch PCB and a main board joined by a ribbon cable.

I think the Ottava Magus is also in line for a kit too.

But the price is a little too high, IMO. And you're right about the shipping. Ouch!

Scruffie

Quote from: plesur on January 05, 2012, 11:08:23 AM
For a company that is named after a phallic painting of a loaf of spanish bread, I would think the bad language and jokes can be expected  :)

Their video is pretty good, especially when the yakety sax kicks in.

I think it's good that they are putting out the old discontinued pedals in kit form. The PCBs look pretty good quality, and it's cool how they snap in half to give you a switch PCB and a main board joined by a ribbon cable.

I think the Ottava Magus is also in line for a kit too.

But the price is a little too high, IMO. And you're right about the shipping. Ouch!
Haha, I never knew the origins of the name, thanks for the lesson!

I haven't watched the video yet, I will soon though, especially now I know Yakety Sax is in it  :D

I didn't see the PCB yet, i'll be interested to.

Yeah that shipping is a dealer breaker, if I could get the kit for $59 or whatever the introductory price is, i'd probably do it (that's basically a $60 pedal, I don't mind a bit of soldering it's the drilling etc. I find work which is done here) but that just puts it in to a bracket where I can do it cheaper myself.

I think the Fuck it you do it is a little tongue in cheek too myself, I had a little chuckle when I first saw that but I could see how some customers they sell to might not find it so amusing. Then again who cares.
Works at Lectric-FX

ckim715

Perhaps it's because of my introduction to the DIY community, but the F*ck it you build it part got a good chuckle out of me. I think it's very cool that Catalinbread is offering kits of their pedals.
-Charlie

culturejam

I think the whole campaign is brilliant.  ;D

But then again, I'm one of those rude, brutal pirate jerks from FSB, so that makes sense.  :D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

bigmufffuzzwizz

I find it quite amusing, their choice of builder. Definitely adds a whole level of parity to it. Or it shows that anyone can do it...
I do have trouble taking it seriously.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals