News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

JMK Paralyzer (parallel loop blend)

Started by dawson, May 29, 2022, 10:58:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

dawson

This is my build of a handy little utility device developed & sold by JMK PCB's, the Paralyzer.  I call it the Parallelizer:

I built it out of necessity for a song we're writing that has a loud fuzz going into a choppy square-wave setting of my Wave Lord tremolo.  Partway through the song we need the tremolo gone, but it's such a strong effect that the instant threshold of the ON/OFF switch is super jarring.  This circuit, coupled with a MASSIVE KNOB and strategically placed in my SCHMORG allows me to gradually turn the knob with my foot and soften the depth of the tremolo until it's completely replaced by the opposite loop- which has now got a super-slow phaser running through it..  I'm very pleased with the result and I'm excited to experiment blending all sorts of different things- I know I'm just barely scratching the surface of possibilities.

Big "props" to JMK for this awesome circuit!
I was worried about headroom issues since I'm running it in my chain after a loud fuzz but it deals just fine.

Now that I know that I like this circuit, I think I'm going to splurge on an $18 6PDT that would allow me to bypass the blend circuit and slam the two loops into series with the flip of a switch.  I think this is a cool function by itself, but it would also act as a safe-guard for that inevitable moment when I get too excited or lose my balance and mangle that pot in the middle of a live set.. anyhow- it may not be long before a build report pops up for the Parallelizer EXTREME!

Here's what I'm currently running:

WTF is this "SCHMORG?"
https://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=32053.0
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

gordo

I remember when you started down this unique path and it's good to see it gaining traction again.  This is both a fascinating approach and I'm completely lost as to how you're using the effects but it's really cool to watch the development.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

dawson

Quote from: gordo on May 30, 2022, 01:12:19 AM
I remember when you started down this unique path and it's good to see it gaining traction again.  This is both a fascinating approach and I'm completely lost as to how you're using the effects but it's really cool to watch the development.

I appreciate the steadfast support, @gordo!
It's taken awhile to get all the modules together and the bugs out, but I'm really enjoying playing with it.

*Sorry if my description of the effects lost you there..
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

nzCdog

This is so cool. Love it, and great project from jmk pedals!  Your SCHMORG is also most excellent. Congrats, thanks for the pics :)

blackhatboojum

The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.