News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Effects Layouts Great Vengeance

Started by peccary, May 26, 2022, 11:51:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peccary

I posted this a little earlier today at another site but thought I'd drop it here, too. This was a fun build, my first from Effects Layouts but certainly won't be my last.

I tend to build more/better/faster when it's for a purpose: the Ukraine pedals got done because of that, and so did this one: an Effects Layouts Great Vengeance.

Fifteen plus years ago I took bass lessons from a really great instructor. After a couple of years with him he moved out to Georgia but we always kept in touch on social media. I reached out to him last week to see if anything was missing from his pedalboard and he asked about something that could do some light distortion where he wouldn't get lost in the mix. I suggested that he take a look at some demos of the D*A*M Ezekiel 25:17 to see if that hit the spot and he really though that would work well for him.

I hadn't remembered until I was going through my PCB collection after talking with him, but I'd bought the board for this a year or two ago and also just so happened to have all of the parts on hand and it all came together pretty quickly.

I got to play with this for about 20 minutes before I boxed it up to ship. While this pedal isn't going to win any "OMG it's totally nutty!" competitions, it does give you the option to dial in a good amount of distortion while keeping the low end present. Since he's a working musician who plays live with multiple different bands I think it will give some good, flexible distortion options while allowing him to still hold down the bottom end.

As for naming it, well, after Ezekiel 25:17 and Great Vengeance, I felt I just had to continue the trend...

Thewintersoldier

Strong work Joe, another banger! Turned out fantastic, and looking cleaner than ever.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Bwahahahahaha, THAT IS AWESOME!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

peccary

Thanks, fellas.

I feel really good about how well this came together. A simple build but it just flowed so we'll, from my conversation with my old instructor through the build and artwork, it just cruised along so naturally, like it knew where it was going the whole time.

That's a pretty good feeling I don't get to experience often enough.

Also, I'm addicted to these Brutalist knobs.

zombie_rock123

Every so often you get the right inspiration to build for the right person and it makes a huge difference so I know what you mean.

Fantastic build and you're right those knobs look spot on. Amazing choice of graphics!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

Bio77

blackhatboojum

Saw this on instagram.  Tis banging.  Add the story behind it, and it's a home run ;)
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

nzCdog

Hah... Cool pedal build bro! Jules and Vincent... Best banter movie ever  ;D

storyboardist

Guy behind Effects Layouts