News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Surprising builds

Started by insomniac2295, December 22, 2011, 02:04:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

Wow that's next level stuff...amazing.
I'd need to do an electrical safety course to even consider it.

sgmezei

You know what, I thought the same thing. But you have to pretty pretty ridiculous to zap yourself really bad with an amp. When your working on it, make sure its unplugged. And if you have fired it up, you have to discharge the caps. There are multiple ways to do this and its quick and easy. I use a big 5watt resistor with alligator clips, connect it to the positive side of the big electrolytics and the other end to ground.

Its like pedals, addictive as hell and 10x as expensive hahaha.

sam_c

Quote from: sgmezei on December 24, 2011, 08:33:07 AM

+1.  Great fun and very rewarding.

I'll be doing one of these kits sometime next year. 
http://www.ampmaker.com/store/PP-36-18-36W-plexi-amplifier.html

I built the SE 5a kit and it just falls a bit short of gigging volume.  Hopefully having a 36w plexi type amp with MV would do the trick

TNblueshawk

Quote from: sgmezei on December 24, 2011, 08:33:07 AM
You know what, I thought the same thing. But you have to pretty pretty ridiculous to zap yourself really bad with an amp. When your working on it, make sure its unplugged. And if you have fired it up, you have to discharge the caps. There are multiple ways to do this and its quick and easy. I use a big 5watt resistor with alligator clips, connect it to the positive side of the big electrolytics and the other end to ground.

Hey sg, was that a kit of some kind?

Looks fantastic man
John

sgmezei

Hey TN,

Ceriatone makes amazing kits. The quality is top notch with the best components and awesome service. I was super skeptical since they are in Asia and I had never ordered anything from over there before so I checked around. If you haven't, check out ceriatone.com. It is unreal the amount of cool stuff they carry.

TNblueshawk

Quote from: sgmezei on December 25, 2011, 02:57:59 PM
Hey TN,

Ceriatone makes amazing kits. The quality is top notch with the best components and awesome service. I was super skeptical since they are in Asia and I had never ordered anything from over there before so I checked around. If you haven't, check out ceriatone.com. It is unreal the amount of cool stuff they carry.

Cool, I will indeed check them out. I'm not ready for that yet but I'm ordering my first amp build, a Champ kit from BYOC but maybe a second build might be something like this.
John

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: sgmezei on December 25, 2011, 02:57:59 PM
Hey TN,

I've had my eye on them for awhile now! That build of your really looks top notch! Did you have the option of ordering an unpopulated board?
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sgmezei

When I ordered I got the basic kit with transformers. I thought that it just came with the parts but when it showed up the board was already populated  :( and thats the fun part. I wish I could have but the rest of the wiring and other stuff still took me about 40 hours minus the cabinet.

I think you can only get the kits with populated boards.