News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

EHX the worm-charlatan

Started by Thewintersoldier, April 07, 2022, 10:50:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

I boxed this up yesterday. I was building it side by side with the polyphase, something I don't normally do. Polyphase got boxed first so this one waited a couple days. Another classic quirky, unique EHX pedal that's worth the price of admission.
I like this one even though it's not as feature packed as something like the polychorus/echoflanger. It's more a jack of all trades, master of none. Each setting has its own sound while sharing the characteristics of the optical LFO. modulated wah is really cool  and I like the less seasick vibrato, unlike the vb-2. One thing I recommend is changing the speed pot to a logarithmic taper because the speed abruptly jumps from slow to medium at the beging of the pots rotation. With the audio taper  there is a nice smooth transition. I may eventually do the same with the range but I haven't decided yet.
I went with Trevor Slattery for the graphics because dude is the ultimate charlatan and he's hilarious. UV print on matte black enclosure. Another winner from Brian. Optional knob turning around clip.

Who the hell is Bucky?

zombie_rock123

Maaan, that's a sweet build. The wah sounds awesome but there's some slower vibrato there in your demo that sold me on this one for the next order. I'm not a superhero fan but your aesthetic is top draw, not sure if we're supposed to acknowledge it at this stage of the game!
I sometimes label builds rockwright
https://www.instagram.com/rockwrightfx/

jimilee

It turned two clicks between phaser and tremolo, what's going on there?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on April 07, 2022, 11:08:15 PM

Maybe it just looked like that. Could be the angle of the dangle, it definitely doesn't click twice lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 07, 2022, 11:11:19 PM
Quote from: jimilee on April 07, 2022, 11:08:15 PM

Maybe it just looked like that. Could be the angle of the dangle, it definitely doesn't click twice lol

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

dawson

Awesome.

I've always wished I could grow a third hand to dedicate to knob stuff- your recent demos make me quite jealous.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

cooder

Very cool and flippin' tidy yet again. Nailed it, sweet graphics!
BigNoise Amplification

harryklippton

Quote from: dawson on April 08, 2022, 12:37:43 AM

I've always wished I could grow a third hand to dedicate to knob stuff

😂😂😂

Thewintersoldier

Awesome.

I've always wished I could grow a third hand to dedicate to knob stuff- your recent demos make me quite jealous.
I don't have a third hand but I have a third leg. That's what's strumming to free up my picking hand to turn the knobs.
Who the hell is Bucky?

Bio77

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 08, 2022, 01:31:17 AM
Awesome.

I don't have a third hand but I have a third leg. That's what's strumming to free up my picking hand to turn the knobs.
Is that what they mean when they say a guitar player is wanking?

Seriously pro build, Chris! I'm planning on doing this one soon, demo sounds cool. 

blackhatboojum

I really dig this one.  Great looking build as always.
The kind of guy who sticks a fork in his Dr. Pepper... If you know what I mean.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: zombie_rock123 on April 07, 2022, 10:57:23 PM
Maaan, that's a sweet build. The wah sounds awesome but there's some slower vibrato there in your demo that sold me on this one for the next order. I'm not a superhero fan but your aesthetic is top draw, not sure if we're supposed to acknowledge it at this stage of the game!
Thanks you, there are cool sounds on every setting but I do like the vibrato as well. And thank you for the compliment on my aesthetic, It's been a work in progress the last couple years and I feel like I have it dialed in. I feel like at this point you know it's my build when you see it lol.

Awesome.
your recent demos make me quite jealous.
Start doing some. I just use my ditto looper to record something and turn knobs to show what it does. I'm not doing jjjimi84 level stuff, that's impressive work he does and I'm not worthy. Harryklippton showed me how to hook my phone direct to the interface to get video without terrible audio. I do it because everyone always wants to know what it sounds like and words are subjective.

Quote from: cooder on April 08, 2022, 12:51:37 AM
Thanks Stephan, coming from the guy who does everything except make his own hardware and mill enclosures that is indeed high praise!

Quote from: Bio77 on April 08, 2022, 01:45:08 AM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on April 08, 2022, 01:31:17 AM
Awesome.

Is that what they mean when they say a guitar player is wanking?

Seriously pro build, Chris! I'm planning on doing this one soon, demo sounds cool. 
Thanks John, I can't touch your Roland 80's theme. Your stuff blows me away as well, I can;t wait to see what you do with this.

Quote from: blackhatboojum on April 08, 2022, 03:19:07 AM
I really dig this one.  Great looking build as always.
Thanks Clinton, glad to see you around more and posting tight builds yourself!
Who the hell is Bucky?

cooder

Thanks Stephan, coming from the guy who does everything except make his own hardware and mill enclosures that is indeed high praise!

Well now you're tempting me then.... I need a lathe then for doing my own knobs I guess, because Chris said so... ;)

Enclosures:

BigNoise Amplification

jjjimi84

What a great looking build and the pictures and demo are all top shelf.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 09, 2022, 04:46:12 AM
What a great looking build and the pictures and demo are all top shelf.
Ok Dan lol, says the king of diy demos.

Quote from: cooder on April 09, 2022, 01:12:48 AM

Well now you're tempting me then.... I need a lathe then for doing my own knobs I guess, because Chris said so... ;)

Enclosures:

Every time I think I'm doing good, you post something like this (or any of your builds) and It makes me sick how I can't come close to you. I feel like why even bother haha
Who the hell is Bucky?