News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

HELPPPP!! I've got problem with my Gilterrattii... :'(

Started by andrapgm03, December 20, 2011, 04:26:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

andrapgm03

First of all, I tried to make this clear, I feel very sad right now because I didn't make it sound right with my gliterratti....  :-\  :-\  :-\

I follow the steps from 3.5 version. I believe I'm good at electronic soldering, but I've still do not have any idea what happened with my glitterratti..

the photos

IMG_0302 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

IMG_0301 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

IMG_0298 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

IMG_0297 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

IMG_0299 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

I want to cry right now, because I haven't idea to do with it. I checked wiring, what I've found the IN pin connected with Ground, it just a simple clue, but I still do not how to fix it, so please help....

My first assumption is I've got wrong in soldering the switch, because the LED turned on but what I've heard was a buzzing everywhere and I don't get my true bypass...

My glitterrattii is still naked-unboxed and I believe I should have the bypass when it turned off, but I haven't.

I just got buzzing and noise sound everywhere, I couldn't here my guitar sound...

So, Please help me to solve this problem...I'm really frustrated here....I really appreciate with your help and experiences....

----------------------------
Assumptions:
1) bad wiring in 3 pdt, I don't know how to, please help
2) bad wiring joins....I will upload the pictures tomorrow (I believe I have fixed my wiring)
3) I still use the part as mentioned in 3.5 Glitterratti version, I soldered the pots in the right direction (3-2-1), but I believe that I missed a point, but I don't know....
4)..etc

Regards,

bobertperry

No stress... You will get it figured out. If I was you I'd make an audio probe then trace the input signal until you find the problem.

bobertperry

k.rock!

Did you ground the sleeves of your jacks? If you have the effect unboxed you need to ground the jacks, otherwise you won't hear anything on bypass except for noise...

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

andrapgm03

Quote from: bobertperry on December 20, 2011, 04:36:49 PM
Post a pic of your switch too and I'll check it.

wait bob, thank you for your attention :D :D :D I will post it tomorrow, today I've got a lot of work to do, This one, make me going insane :D :D :D

andrapgm03

Quote from: k.rock! on December 20, 2011, 04:37:36 PM
Did you ground the sleeves of your jacks? If you have the effect unboxed you need to ground the jacks, otherwise you won't hear anything on bypass except for noise...

-Kaleb

Yes Kaleb, I ground my sleeves of my jacks correctly with the 3 pdt ground and PCB ground, I double checked with my multitester, and it result good ground connected.... :)

jkokura

Take a big, deep breath! Things will be ok!

It sounds like you're on the right track, but I'll just recommend a few things for you if you're new at this:

1. Check that your parts are the right value, don't assume they are
2. Check that your parts are the right direction - some parts have a right way and a wrong way to go in, so check those out.

You're wiring could be suspect, but we can't tell that until you have some pictures up. Get those up and we'll be happy to help.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

andrapgm03

andrapgm03

1) now When I jacked in 9V adaptor, my Led going turn on, but there are a lot of noise here, no guitar sound

2) when I press, again, I don't get bypass guitar sound, I believe this is about my 3 pdt wiring view was wrong, so please tell me what should do with the wiring, currently noob here...

Thanks all   :)  :)  :)  :)

jtn191

The lit LED means at least you're getting power to the LED--check to see if you're getting power to the board by: placing one probe of a Multi Meter on the 9v pad on the board and the other probe on ground. Hopefully you're getting 9v DC or something very near it.

Your view of the switch looks correct, but there may be a soldering or mechanical problem

Next, getting a bypassed sound should be one of the easiest and and most essential things to fix. Plug in your guitar cable and inspect the jack to make sure that everything is touching that should and nothing else (ie that the signal is grounded). Next inspect your switch, looking for ANY tiny solder bridges or wire hairs (this was the source of a problem in my first build) that are straying off and touching something else. Along with that, test the continuity between all the lugs and make sure they are switching correctly:

if a 3pdt is

1   2   3
4   5   6
7   8   9

when your LED is NOT lit,

-you should be able to measure 0 ohms of resistance between lugs 4,7, 5, 8 (check to make sure you're not getting 0 ohms resistance between 4,7,5,8 and any other lugs)

to clarify:

when the pcb is bypassed, put one probe of your multi meter on any of the lugs with an arrow pointing at them and put the other probe on any other lug with an arrow pointing at it. You should measure 0 ohms resistance or get a *beep on your DMM. Check between all of them to be safe.

Now move one of your probes to any of the lugs that DONT have an arrow pointing at them. You should get a different reading...something like infinite, OVRLD, NA, etc

-Finally, lugs 2, 6 and 9 should measure 0 ohms of resistance between them. and with nothing else..."
*this tests both the possibility of a soldering mistake OR a faulty switch. Some cheap switches may be defective--my first build's switch was defective due to overheating with a large solder gun

inspect the path from lug 6 to your output jack

andrapgm03

Quote from: jtn191 on December 22, 2011, 05:06:37 AM
The lit LED means at least you're getting power to the LED--check to see if you're getting power to the board by: placing one probe of a Multi Meter on the 9v pad on the board and the other probe on ground. Hopefully you're getting 9v DC or something very near it.

Your view of the switch looks correct, but there may be a problem with it

Next, getting a bypassed sound should be one of the easiest and and most essential things to fix. Plug in your guitar cable and inspect the jack to make sure that everything is touching that should and nothing else (ie that the signal is grounded). Next inspect your switch, looking for ANY tiny solder bridges or wire hairs (this was the source of a problem in my first build) that are straying off and touching something else. Along with that, test the continuity between all the lugs and make sure they are switching correctly:

if a 3pdt is

1   2   3
4   5   6
7   8   9

when your LED is NOT lit,

-lugs 4,7, 5, 8 should be continuous and nothing else (check to make sure they're not continuous with any other lugs)
-Finally, lugs 2, 6 and 9 should be continuous. and with nothing else..."
*this tests both the possibility of a soldering mistake OR a faulty switch. Some cheap switches may be defective--my first build's switch was defective due to overheating with a large solder gun

inspect the path from lug 6 to your output jack

Just make sure you understand the signal flow from guitar cable-->input jack-->jack lug-->switch lug #2-->lug #9-->#6 (when bypassed)-->output jack lug-->output jack-->cable  and that everything should "flow" from one place to the next without any part touching somewhere else/ground

Okay, I try to upload this one, thanks for the suggestion

1) placing one probe of a Multi Meter on the 9v pad on the board and the other probe on ground. Hopefully you're getting 9v DC or something very near it.

yeayy.. I've got 9.04 V DC on my board, but nothing happened, still same sound, so this is the pic

IMG_0306 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

Red light turned on when I pressed the 3 PDT

IMG_0305 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

2) About the orientation

if a 3pdt is

1   2   3
4   5   6
7   8   9

this is mine...

IMG_0308 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

Am I wrong ?

If I do, then I read again about your post then I make some assumption here...

inspect the path from lug 6 to your output jack, so the 6 is wired with the 2 and 9, mean they are connected ?

your suggestion
1   2\  3
4--5  \6
7--8   \9

mine
-going to LED------1  2\    3--- Out pin of my Glitterrattii board
                         4  5  \  6-- connected to tip mono
-to ground,4/7/8   7--8   \9 (2 , 9 connected to sleeve mono)

my 5 connected to IN pin board, 4/7/8 connected to stereo ground

-- and \ mean connected, and this is right way ? so should I connect my 3 pdt 4pin to 5 ping ? I think it will be short circuit.....so could you please tell me what should I do ? :) :) please guide me....

anyway, thank you for your concern and help, I'm really appreciate it :)

bigmufffuzzwizz

First you've got the numbering for the 3PDT wrong. It should be

1  4  7
2  5  8
3  6  9

You've got the switch mostly correct except for that ground connection to lug 9. If you connected lug 9 to ground, then you'd be grounding the signal out regardless of which throw you have selected. I'll bet if you cut that brown wire you'll get signal.

http://madbeanpedals.com/tutorials/downloads/StandardWiring_MBP.pdf

If that doesn't fix your problem, some of your solder joints look suspect.
Not sure what kind of soldering iron your using but it doesn't look like there's enough heat transfer to fully melt the solder making a solid bond. A few of your joints look real good while many others are blobs which could be potential cold solder joints/problems. Try turning up the tempature on your iron (if you can), apply a little fresh solder to the iron(tinning) and re-melt them.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

andrapgm03

thankyou bigmufffuzzwizz  :)  :)  :)

here I made some a schem of your reply, if you don't mind please correct me if I'm wrong

untitled1 by andrapgm03, on Flickr

:) :) nice post bro.... I believe I've got wrong in my 3 PDT direction, about the soldering joint, I will fix it soon :)

jtn191

I think BMFW was just saying that my numbering system was not the normal way to look at a switch, but
Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on December 22, 2011, 10:18:54 AM

You've got the switch mostly correct except for that ground connection to lug 9.

He thought that your brown wire on lug 9 went to ground instead of to the tip of the input jack.

Quote from: andrapgm03 on December 22, 2011, 07:13:07 AM

your suggestion
1   2\  3
4--5  \6
7--8   \9

mine
-going to LED------1  2\    3--- Out pin of my Glitterrattii board
                        4  5  \  6-- connected to tip mono
-to ground,4/7/8   7--8   \9 (2 , 9 connected to sleeve mono)

-- and \ mean connected, and this is right way ? so should I connect my 3 pdt 4pin to 5 ping ? I think it will be short circuit.....so could you please tell me what should I do ? :) :) please guide me....

Are you saying that your middle column is connecting to the right column? If so, you'd need to turn the switch 90 degrees clockwise and apply the wiring diagram to the switch in that position

A 3pdt should switch like

andrapgm03

Quote from: jtn191 on December 22, 2011, 04:06:42 PM
I think BMFW was just saying that my numbering system was not the normal way to look at a switch, but
Quote from: bigmufffuzzwizz on December 22, 2011, 10:18:54 AM

You've got the switch mostly correct except for that ground connection to lug 9.

He thought that your brown wire on lug 9 went to ground instead of to the tip of the input jack.

Quote from: andrapgm03 on December 22, 2011, 07:13:07 AM

your suggestion
1   2\  3
4--5  \6
7--8   \9

mine
-going to LED------1  2\    3--- Out pin of my Glitterrattii board
                        4  5  \  6-- connected to tip mono
-to ground,4/7/8   7--8   \9 (2 , 9 connected to sleeve mono)

Are you saying that your middle column is connecting to the right column? If so, you'd need to turn the switch 90 degrees clockwise and apply the wiring diagram to the switch in that position

A 3pdt should switch like

my lug no 9 is connected with  IN tip, am I wrong ? should lug no 9 connected to the ground ?

Yes, I've read about the beavisaudio one, but I still don't get the idea of the application. I tried to connect my middle column to the right column (yes), and if I turn the switch 90 clockwise, what kind of wiring diagram should I do to the switch ? I believe, it will change the switch orientation again. About this switch, I try to draw again my switch orientation.

Based on my previous orientation

1-2-3
4-5-6
7-8-9

I tried to convert in orientation

1-4-7
2-5-8
3-6-9

My switch assumption;

going to LED
|
|