News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

PedalPCB Trembling Loon

Started by peccary, February 21, 2022, 04:58:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peccary

Hey folks,

I finished up this Trembling Loon build over the weekend and am pretty happy with how it came out. A member of the PedalPCB forum sent me a vactrol and I thought that a trem pedal would be a good use for it since I didn't have one.

When I first plugged this in it sounded really bright and chimey, but that was in the garage through a practice bass amp (Acoustic B-10. I'm new to guitar but have been playing bass for a couple of decades). When I had a chance to spend a lot more time with it yesterday and play it through my mixer it lost the brightness, which I was happy about.

The thing has a *lot* of gain on tap as well. It's at unity almost instantly from zero. I was playing around with the order of this pedal and a few others and when I put this in front of the Aion Meridian (bass version) cranking the Trembling Loon's gain in to the Meridian gave me some pretty interesting distortion. The Meridian was one of the most underwhelming pedals I built until I started using it with other pedals - it feels like an extension of anything you plug in before it and I kind of love it.

Anyways, I don't have any experience with trem pedals other than this one but I think it sounds good, especially with a little bit of delay and grit added to it.

Edit: the IMG tags weren't working so here's the links:

https://imgur.com/2ebtjiY

https://imgur.com/EXbac4V

madbean

Bio77

Great build! Love the graphics, delicious  8)

peccary

Quote from: Bio77 on February 21, 2022, 05:51:55 PM
Great build! Love the graphics, delicious  8)

Thanks!

I thought the Delirium Tremens elephant was a good choice after not being able to find any bird graphics that I liked   ;D

Thewintersoldier

Nice one Joe, love the pink and the graphic turned out great. Your no film skills are killer here. It's a great circuit for sure, I really like mine, I love me some trem!
Who the hell is Bucky?

peccary

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 21, 2022, 07:01:25 PM
Nice one Joe, love the pink and the graphic turned out great. Your no film skills are killer here. It's a great circuit for sure, I really like mine, I love me some trem!

Thanks, Chris!

I was having issues previously with the toner getting grainy on me. At some point a while back I turned my oven to 250 and then just assumed that's what I had always been using. This weekend I turned it down to 200, getting the feeling that 250 was too high, and the graphics came out great.

Just when I thought I had the hang of it I started making rookie mistakes. It feels good to get it back under control again.

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: peccary on February 21, 2022, 07:12:17 PM
Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 21, 2022, 07:01:25 PM

Thanks, Chris!

I was having issues previously with the toner getting grainy on me. At some point a while back I turned my oven to 250 and then just assumed that's what I had always been using. This weekend I turned it down to 200, getting the feeling that 250 was too high, and the graphics came out great.

Just when I thought I had the hang of it I started making rookie mistakes. It feels good to get it back under control again.
It's always good to reavaluate ones process and try new ways of doing things. I like to step outside my comfort zone and challenge myself when I think something is too easy or my normal method isn't cutting it. My toaster oven just has a low to high knob so it stays parked at low lol
Who the hell is Bucky?

Paradox916

Nice job man.... I don't think I ever noticed your RAD( in context of both adjective and a noun) logo before

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

peccary

Quote from: Paradox916 on February 22, 2022, 05:26:40 AM
Nice job man.... I don't think I ever noticed your RAD( in context of both adjective and a noun) logo before

Thanks, man. Sylvester made it for me not long ago and I've only just started using it since getting some basics down in Illustrator. I think he did a pretty rad job.

culturejam

Quote from: peccary on February 21, 2022, 06:47:54 PM
I thought the Delirium Tremens elephant was a good choice after not being able to find any bird graphics that I liked   ;D

Probably my favorite beer of all time. That an Unibroue's La Fin du Monde.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Paradox916

Quote from: culturejam on February 22, 2022, 03:00:19 PM

La Fin du Mond! Love that beer but it's hard to find it where I'm at. 

music_circuits

nzCdog

That's really slick. Nice pedal, congrats :)

Bio77

Quote from: culturejam on February 22, 2022, 03:00:19 PM

Not my favorite anymore, but this was the beer that opened my eyes up to good beer.  I've been different levels of a fanatic for around 15 years now  ;D

peccary

It's a great beer, and one of the first that turned me on to Belgian beer to begin with. If anyone here finds themselves in Brussels be sure to stop by the Delirium Cafe.