News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Replacement for 0.1uf tantalum cap?

Started by elenore19, February 16, 2022, 05:04:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

elenore19

Hey all-
I'm missing a 0.1uf tantalum cap for a phaser build.
The capacitor is Bias voltage filter capacitor.
The project is this:
https://aionfx.com/app/files/docs/emerald_documentation.pdf

I've never heard of a 0.1uf polarized cap, so I must've overlooked it thinking it wasn't polarized.

Is there any chance that the polarity isn't a must and I could just replace it with a 0.1uf MLCC?

If polarization is a must---I have a bunch of 1uF electro caps. any chance I could wire 10 of those in series to replace this part? Also how much of a difference is it going to make to have electrolytic as opposed to tantalum in this position?

Thanks for the help!

-Elliot

EBK

Yeah, I don't get it either.
I hope it wasn't spec'd that way purely for the symmetry aesthetics.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

madbean

You can nearly always sub a non-polarized cap (whether electrolytic, film, mlcc) for a polarized one. Since in this case it's being used as a decoupling cap on the bias voltage, I don't see why it would need to be a tantalum. The trimmer is set and forget.

elenore19

Quote from: madbean on February 16, 2022, 05:15:54 PM
You can nearly always sub a non-polarized cap (whether electrolytic, film, mlcc) for a polarized one. Since in this case it's being used as a decoupling cap on the bias voltage, I don't see why it would need to be a tantalum. The trimmer is set and forget.

Amazing. Thank you so much for the insight and expertise!