News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Component Placement Revisted

Started by skypn, January 30, 2022, 11:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

skypn

As per my previous post, are there any issues with the component placement for this simple LM 386 amp?

Or that matter, any issues at all?
TIA
Knowledge for Knowledge's Sake

madbean

Nice and tidy. You have room for a reverse polarity diode off the the V pad and a pulldown resistor at the output (don't know the application here so maybe they aren't needed). Is there an reason for the large output cap?

skypn

The application is just a little amp with a recycled tv speaker to test circuits without having to whip out my amp at first. The large cap is because that is what the schematic called for, and it works nice on the bread board. Do you have a different value to suggest? 

madbean

Ahh, no I say go with the schematic you are using. It's just that 1000uF is going to be pretty tall, so if this were something you wanted to box up at some point, you might consider adjusting the layout so the cap can lay flat across the bottom of the PCB.

skypn

The box I'm putting it in will also house the speaker, so plenty of real estate ;D. Its not a pedal, just a test speaker.
Thank you for your input, I'll mill the board on my CNC this afternoon.

mjg

Is it worth having a ground plane?  Or is that too much trouble if you're milling your own?

jimilee

Quote from: mjg on January 30, 2022, 08:45:15 PM
Is it worth having a ground plane?  Or is that too much trouble if you're milling your own?
For something this small, I don't think it's necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.