News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy IC

Started by jonrhee, December 17, 2011, 02:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jonrhee

I know the Aquaboy project file says not to swap the IC's out between the MN3005 and V3205 however if I were to take out the 3102 and the v571 and replace them with the proper chips accordingly, as well as replacing R19 with a 22r and changing the jumpers, would it be ok to use the MN3005? I know it'd be a lot of risk removing the IC's as I didn't socket however I'm curious as to whether this would work? I suppose I could just wait for the Deluxe, I'm just a bit impatient.

gtr2

Yes, move the jumpers.  Also, if you want to go that route I'd just put in a 15v regulator in at the r19 spot utilizing the extra pad for the regulator and power the pedal at 18v.  You can leave the v571 it will work fine.  If you don't have much experience desoldering I'd just sacrifice the v3205 and cut the legs off where they meet the case.  That way you can carefully just worry about taking out one pin at a time so you don't accidentally pull up a pad. 

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jonrhee

Ok, so just switch the jumpers, and replace the 3102, and put in the 18v regulator?
That's awesome. I think I'll do quite a bit of socketing. From what I've seen the 3005 has a bit more delay time? Would that be accurate? And just sounds better overall?

Scruffie

Quote from: jonrhee on December 17, 2011, 04:43:23 AM
Ok, so just switch the jumpers, and replace the 3102, and put in the 18v regulator?
That's awesome. I think I'll do quite a bit of socketing. From what I've seen the 3005 has a bit more delay time? Would that be accurate? And just sounds better overall?
No, a 3205 has the same delay time as a 3005, the only thing a 3005 has over the 3205 is more headroom, but that ONLY works at a higher voltage (15V).

As bean has said though, the swap will probably kill your board.

Build a deluxe memory man (dirtbag) and use a pair of Smallbear fake 3005s, you'll get 350ms nicely.
Works at Lectric-FX

jonrhee

Gotcha, My 3205 Aquaboy definitely does not have 300ms, would a more accurate delay time pot help? I was watchibg a comparison of a Mk1 and Mk2 Aquapuss and it seemed the Mk1 had a longer delay time. Mine definitely sounds like the Mk2. They were both being run at 9v

Heres the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lQfcIDS7OA

gtr2

Quote from: jonrhee on December 17, 2011, 04:43:23 AM

NO you need a 15v regulator at r19.  You power the pedal at 18v.  If you do the proper component swaps you won't kill your board.  I've done it with excellent results.

But...I don't think you should mess with it unless you have a firm grasp on the circuit.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Scruffie

Quote from: jonrhee on December 17, 2011, 02:33:21 PM
Gotcha, My 3205 Aquaboy definitely does not have 300ms, would a more accurate delay time pot help? I was watchibg a comparison of a Mk1 and Mk2 Aquapuss and it seemed the Mk1 had a longer delay time. Mine definitely sounds like the Mk2. They were both being run at 9v

Heres the video
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-lQfcIDS7OA
Delay pot value and delay time cap will both be important to get the correct amount of delay, but both devices are 4096 stage BBDs.
Works at Lectric-FX

jonrhee

Which cap is the Delay time cap? Im using the V2 board.

Scruffie

Quote from: jonrhee on December 18, 2011, 02:57:17 AM
Which cap is the Delay time cap? Im using the V2 board.
C21
Works at Lectric-FX

jonrhee