News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dinky Drive - How to Mod

Started by Brian.robert, December 13, 2011, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brian.robert

I built a dinky drive last night in an enclosure with the fat pants.  They sound really good together, and I can get a couple decent tones out of the dinky drive alone, but I'd like to make it more usable.

Are there some mods that would give it more output, and make the treble knob less fizzy when turned past 2:00?  It's pretty much at unity when the volume and gain are fully maxed out?  Maybe these problems are tied together.  

I'd love to hear any other mods that people have done also.

Thanks!

Also, I've noticed that I get more output the lower I set the treble.  Is this normal, or do I have something messed up?

jkokura

I'll take a look at the schematic and see what I can find out for you. If I haven't written anything soon then feel free to bump.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

stecykmi

you can probably eliminate some of the fizz by increasing C9 somewhat, try maybe 220pF or so. if the circuit is too bright in general, you could remove C3, or possibly increase the value somewhat, maybe 470pF or so.

increasing the gain is a little trickier because of the tone stack at the output... this circuit probably has pretty high output impedance (usually a bad thing). try putting a gain stage after this pedal, like a slambox. other then that, try decreasing R8 and increasing R9. Try 100k for R8 and 500k for R9.

R8, R9, R10 and C7 aren't actually necessary and could be bypassed, they basically act as a high-pass filter and attenuator.

These mods are untested.

Brian.robert

Thanks for the suggestions!  I'll try them and report back.