News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Anyone care to take a peek and see if I'm even close?

Started by jimilee, August 15, 2021, 07:51:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

Thought I'd try my hand at single sided layouts. Am I even in the same zipcode?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

Close to what? If pcb is good?
Then what pcb tracks are hidden under that IC?
"Nudíte se? Kupte si našeho cvičeného ježka! Pobaví vás svými veselýmí kousky!"

NorthCoast

So far, it looks like there are some traces overlapping in the lower left. The 5088 has its emitter and base connected, and the 1k and the 10k shouldn't be connected. Again, it's because the traces are crossed.

Also the 22R should be a 220R.
"People discuss my art and pretend to understand as if it were necessary to understand..." - Claude Monet

jimilee

Quote from: NorthCoast on August 15, 2021, 09:17:41 PM
So far, it looks like there are some traces overlapping in the lower left. The 5088 has its emitter and base connected, and the 1k and the 10k shouldn't be connected. Again, it's because the traces are crossed.

Also the 22R should be a 220R.

Yessir, thank you. I appreciate it. This is my first time laying something out, I can read the schematic, it's just the logistics of placing the components. I updated the layout.

Quote from: Zerro on August 15, 2021, 08:45:39 PM

Just trying my hand at one sided layouts. If it would work as it should is my question. Thanks you sir.
Close to what? If pcb is good?
Then what pcb tracks are hidden under that IC?

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Zerro

At first sight, diodes you assigned 5088 are not connected with anything at one side. Resistor 1k at left low side is hanging off.

When I started to project pcb desks, I used mm-paper, and I stayed at this format. And whenever I made some track here, I assigned this part at schematic sheet I had, with red pencil. Not to forget anything, coz it would stay without red color. Very useful.

Mostly it took several trials before the final sheet, depending from complexivity of schema. First I cared about proper connecting and second about good sitting all details at desk, without big spacing or too pressed placement. Balanced and economical placement :@)

And, at the end, again controll of connectivity, with blue pencil this time. During redrawing you can easily omit something.

jimilee

Quote from: Zerro on August 15, 2021, 10:44:11 PM
At first sight, diodes you assigned 5088 are not connected with anything at one side. Resistor 1k at left low side is hanging off.

When I started to project pcb desks, I used mm-paper, and I stayed at this format. And whenever I made some track here, I assigned this part at schematic sheet I had, with red pencil. Not to forget anything, coz it would stay without red color. Very useful.

Mostly it took several trials before the final sheet, depending from complexivity of schema. First I cared about proper connecting and second about good sitting all details at desk, without big spacing or too pressed placement. Balanced and economical placement :@)

And, at the end, again controll of connectivity, with blue pencil this time. During redrawing you can easily omit something.

Thank you for your assistance. The diodes (which were mislabeled, oops) are connected to an SPDT switch. The 1k, I got it connected. Have I missed anything?

Zerro

Zerro

Unhapilly there is a lot of mistakes in that pcb. I assigned some of them with red color.

I recommend to start once again and try to use that system with red-blue pencils controll, I described before.

jimilee

Quote from: Zerro on August 16, 2021, 02:43:03 PM
Unhapilly there is a lot of mistakes in that pcb. I assigned some of them with red color.

I recommend to start once again and try to use that system with red-blue pencils controll, I described before.
Will do. I appreciate your help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Zerro

My approach I suggest: mm-grid paper, pencil and eraser - to get first surveys. Start with IC and all around and spread to the sides with input and output. Power rails at top and bottom at first. At schema (printed) assign all tracks you did with red pencil. Avoid the doubled tracks, loops and too long tracks. Use jumpers.

After final prototype is completed, in sense of good connection, start to move with details for the best positioning at desk - economy of space... Don't forget for all terminals for wiring.

Last controll with blue pencil.

midwayfair

Don't put parts diagonally.

You can put those resistors and diodes right up next to each other and they won't hit each other. (I assume this is DIYLC? It looks like it.)

There's a lot of wasted space and don't use jumpers unless you absolutely have to -- they're an easy thing for someone to miss.

Just in the top left corner, if you straightened out that 100R, you could move the 10K next to it down and to the left, and you'd have a ton of space to run the trace where it needs to go from the pot that currently has a jumper halfway across the board. The north lead of the diagonal 10K in the lower left could have just gone to the other side of the transistor, instead of running a trace behind the transistor. The 4.7K that has a jumper could have just gone next to your chip, without even rearranging or moving any of the parts -- and a 51p is TINY even if there wasn't already enough room between it and the board for a resistor.

Keep your traces as short as possible, don't be a slave to the exact connections in the schematic when multiple parts are connected to each other. For instance, that 22K in the top right -- there's no reason to run its trace all the way down to the LEDs, it could have gone almost next door to lug 3 of the comp pot. The 10K between pins 1 and 2 of the chip has a needlessly circuitious route; just put it next to the chip.

You should be able to consolidate more than enough space to get your in/out/9v/g connections all to the bottom of the board after that.

jimilee

Quote from: midwayfair on August 17, 2021, 03:27:42 AM
Don't put parts diagonally.

You can put those resistors and diodes right up next to each other and they won't hit each other. (I assume this is DIYLC? It looks like it.)

There's a lot of wasted space and don't use jumpers unless you absolutely have to -- they're an easy thing for someone to miss.

Just in the top left corner, if you straightened out that 100R, you could move the 10K next to it down and to the left, and you'd have a ton of space to run the trace where it needs to go from the pot that currently has a jumper halfway across the board. The north lead of the diagonal 10K in the lower left could have just gone to the other side of the transistor, instead of running a trace behind the transistor. The 4.7K that has a jumper could have just gone next to your chip, without even rearranging or moving any of the parts -- and a 51p is TINY even if there wasn't already enough room between it and the board for a resistor.

Keep your traces as short as possible, don't be a slave to the exact connections in the schematic when multiple parts are connected to each other. For instance, that 22K in the top right -- there's no reason to run its trace all the way down to the LEDs, it could have gone almost next door to lug 3 of the comp pot. The 10K between pins 1 and 2 of the chip has a needlessly circuitious route; just put it next to the chip.

You should be able to consolidate more than enough space to get your in/out/9v/g connections all to the bottom of the board after that.
Thank you Jon, super helpful. I'm working on a redesign in between classes and homework.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk