News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Chunk Chunk in Progress...

Started by spy590, December 12, 2011, 09:45:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

spy590

I'm working on a Chunk Chunk at the moment--here is the enclosure that I came up with. Truck bed liner on the sides with a poorly executed engine turned finish on top. Then a standard water slide on top of that. I'll post some real pics when I actually finish this thing...consider this a placeholder.

Russ

jambforthelamb

Man, I don't see anything poorly executed about that finish  ???. Looks pretty freakin' great to me thus far!

Looking forward to the finish product. I have two of these I'm in the midst of also, hoping to get close to done by the of this year.

-Kevin

Haberdasher

Dude that design rules.
I've thought about using bed liner before too but never have.  Do you like the way it came out?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

spy590

Quote from: jambforthelamb on December 12, 2011, 09:55:55 PM
Man, I don't see anything poorly executed about that finish  ???. Looks pretty freakin' great to me thus far!

Looking forward to the finish product. I have two of these I'm in the midst of also, hoping to get close to done by the of this year.

-Kevin

Thank you kind sir. Let's just say that the lighting in this photo is very forgiving of the defects ;D I used a drill press and drew some guidelines on the box to follow. Some of the lines aren't quite straight and I over applied pressure in a few areas. I own a mini milling machine from a previous hobby that would have achieved some real precision, but I figured the decal and the knobs would hide most issues. Not to mention, I'm too impatient to keep cranking those handles on the mill table. The mini milling machine continues to collect dust...

spy590

Quote from: Haberdasher on December 12, 2011, 10:01:18 PM
Dude that design rules.
I've thought about using bed liner before too but never have.  Do you like the way it came out?

Thanks Keefe. The bed liner rocks--this is the rustoleum brand. You have to shake the can often during application, but it coats quite well without primer. What you see here is two coats on bare metal. Since it's textured, I also slacked on the prep sanding. It covered the horizontal grooves on the sides quite well and baked nicely in a toaster oven. The tape lines on the top peeled off pretty cleanly also.

I will definitely use it again.

As far as the logo goes, I pulled it into photoshop from an image of the new mini rectifier on the boogie site. Originally it was much smaller and centered, but I kinda dig the asymmetric deal so I blew it up and shifted it over. Although, it does say "Unk Chunk" now, lol.

jimmybjj

very nice, l like it.

If you don't mind me asking what did you use to burnish? I've tried wooden dowels with minimal success.
Pcbs no longer available

spy590

Quote from: jimmybjj on December 12, 2011, 11:47:44 PM
very nice, l like it.

If you don't mind me asking what did you use to burnish? I've tried wooden dowels with minimal success.

I actually went the wooden dowel route. I used a 1/2 inch diameter with a felt furniture pad attached to the end. I figured the "squishiness" would allow for even contact. I used pads kind of like this:

http://www.amazon.com/Floor-Protectors-Furniture-Pads-Craft/dp/B001MY6VS8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1323740423&sr=8-1

My initial intention was to just stretch a clump of steel wool over the tip and affix it with some tape. The only steel wool I had on hand was "very fine" and "fine". The resulting swirls looked more like a mirror finish, so I decided to go with a little strip of 600 grit water sanding paper that was nearby. This achieved the desired effect, but it was much more pressure sensitive. If I dug in to hard, it would leave some pretty deep swirls. In retrospect, I could have probably went with a tad finer grit and used the depth stop on the press to take care of pressure.

Overall, I really dig the effect with the clear water slides. The red areas in the decal have a sort of depth to them like a candy paint job or something. I'll definitely try this again with my lessons learned.