News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#VFEFRIDAY Distortion 3

Started by jjjimi84, May 14, 2021, 04:21:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

This is a bad ass little box! It does everything I love about good drive pedals, clean boost, overdrive and some distortion. I put it in a cream box, really bad decision, I just kind of dislike it and really had a hard time coming up with something good. Slapped on some orange knobs and painted this weird monkey cult thing. Not my best work but easily not the worst.

This is built fairly stock, I think I subbed in some fancy mislabeled diodes instead of 1n914.

I think next week will be the Mini Mu.

[youtube width=640]OcoH4s3xiQ0[/youtube]

harryklippton

I like it! I kinda like cream boxes

Thewintersoldier

Nice one Dan and good video. Looking forward to next week cause the mu-tron is kinda my thing.
Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on May 14, 2021, 04:31:12 PM
Nice one Dan and good video. Looking forward to next week cause the mu-tron is kinda my thing.
The mutron is really cool. I can't see the video in tap a talk, which is odd, it usually shows up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

I like this video.  I'm going to have to revisit the D3.  When I first built it I thought "meh".  Half the trick is understanding what it does I guess and you nailed it.

I think the Mu is the all-star of the VFE's.  It's the coolest Mutron I've played in that it's the least "fiddley".  It's not as twitchy to setup as, say, the Meatball or other variants.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

jjjimi84

Thank you all very much! Gordo I was like you the first time I tried it I wasn't really into it, I actually only built it to complete the set but have really falling in love with it. It will never replace my dragon but it gets a lot of use.

The Mini Mu was a hard video to make for a couple reasons, one I kept finding cool sounds and two I couldnt get myself to stop quacking with the wah sound.... It is such a cool pedal and is one of my favorites for sure. I have the DeadendFX Meatball and it is another that is great but has a lot less sounds in it that I use but has a feature set that is out of this world.

Thank you all for taking the time to watch, I am trying to edit any of the fat out while still trying to talk about the build and show sounds. I am slowly getting there.

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on May 14, 2021, 08:21:58 PM
Thank you all very much! Gordo I was like you the first time I tried it I wasn't really into it, I actually only built it to complete the set but have really falling in love with it. It will never replace my dragon but it gets a lot of use.

The Mini Mu was a hard video to make for a couple reasons, one I kept finding cool sounds and two I couldnt get myself to stop quacking with the wah sound.... It is such a cool pedal and is one of my favorites for sure. I have the DeadendFX Meatball and it is another that is great but has a lot less sounds in it that I use but has a feature set that is out of this world.

Thank you all for taking the time to watch, I am trying to edit any of the fat out while still trying to talk about the build and show sounds. I am slowly getting there.
The meatball, there's a difficult pedal to dial in. Sounds great when you get it there. This distortion 3 sounds fantastic. Sounds like it covers a variety of pedals. It can hold the low end or give some plexi sounds.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Whoa Black Betty... Killer

The 3 pedals in the Distortion3 are:

MXR Micro Amp
Distortion+
DOD 250

jimilee

Are 1n914s Germanium though? I kind of feel like they're still silicon.

oeslicoalfin

Those look like Tayda's 1N914s...
I have some in the clipping sections of a few of my builds

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on May 15, 2021, 03:40:57 AM
Are 1n914s Germanium though? I kind of feel like they're still silicon.

The 1n914s I have may have been BA282, no markings but were in a bag labelled diodes. I used them in a bunch of builds and someone commented that they may have been 282s. The black glass diodes are the germaniums and sound pretty great.

On a side note the meatball and the doppelgänger are going to be in upcoming videos but I am still trying to decide how to best show them off since knob turning isnt really an option. Probably do a "3 cool sounds" type thing. Still a ways out for that though.

Quote from: oeslicoalfin on May 15, 2021, 04:00:36 AM
Those look like Tayda's 1N914s...
I have some in the clipping sections of a few of my builds

They very well could be, I used to be very casual about my parts. A long time building plus multiple moves left things in a state of choas.

Bret608

Looks and sounds great! I love my Distortion 3. I always was an MXR guy, but I like that this lets you cool off that treble bite just enough, if you know what I mean.

jjjimi84

Quote from: Bret608 on May 17, 2021, 01:44:22 PM
Looks and sounds great! I love my Distortion 3. I always was an MXR guy, but I like that this lets you cool off that treble bite just enough, if you know what I mean.

I couldn't agree with you more, it really blows my mind when I think about guys hitting a plexi at full volume with a 250! It had to be the reason some many people have tinnitus, just treble screams.

Bret608

Oh for sure! I probably have mild tinnitus myself from being at such shows (looking at you, Bob Mould!). For me, setting the fat at 3:00 and the filter at 1:00-2:00 keeps the sound nice and vintage, but in a way that works with my Fender amp.

gordo

Frank Marino.  Lost all top end in my left ear for about 24 hrs.  Killer show.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?