News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

TS 808 and TS 9 differences...2 resistors?

Started by jimilee, May 02, 2021, 02:55:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimilee

I've been obsessed with tube screamer history and research, five-watt world history, and the pedal movie are great watches. From what I"ve been able to find, the only differences between the two come down to 2 resistors and that's it. Looking at the greenbean schematic, it looks like R15 would be changed to a 470r, and R16 would be changed to 100k. Can someone confirm this? This seems unnecessarily silly.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

JackSkellington

I can confirm that, following the schematics we can find.
Replacing those two resistors we can't change too much the sound. Actually, we can say that there's no audible difference between a TS9 and a TS808, except the tolerance of the parts, especially the pots because the higher tolerance.
I saw sometime someone to add, on its Tube Screamer clone, a toggle switch to pass from TS9 to TS808.

But, I have to add something about the two resistors. There's no important difference in the effect schematic about gain and equalizing, theorically. But changing those resistors I think that the output impedance change, this could make the amp, or the pedals after the TS, sounds a bit different.

And we can't forget that the TS9 has a different switching system that exclude the "driving parts" leaving the input and output buffers always on. (The TS808 is simply true bypass).
I don't know if that switch system is totally transparent, maybe it is, so the only difference is just that two resistors, that change the output impedance.

I wait some others technical opinions about this. ;D
«Just because I cannot see it doesn't mean I can't believe it»

jimilee

I agree, that there is no audible difference, I just wanted a second opinion set of eyes. I was looking for a bit more drive, but it looks to be negligible. I guess it's more of a marketing thing maybe. I was looking over the greenbean, the madbean version has mods for more drive. I'm seemingly obsessed with distortion pedals right now, and I haven't found "that sound" just yet. I think part of the equation is, I haven't tried higher output pickups yet.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Quote from: jimilee on May 02, 2021, 03:15:05 PM
I agree, that there is no audible difference, I just wanted a second opinion set of eyes. I was looking for a bit more drive, but it looks to be negligible. I guess it's more of a marketing thing maybe. I was looking over the greenbean, the madbean version has mods for more drive. I'm seemingly obsessed with distortion pedals right now, and I haven't found "that sound" just yet. I think part of the equation is, I haven't tried higher output pickups yet.
If you are looking for a higher gain tube screamer then try a super metal, they are killer. I wish someone made a board of the older one but I haven't been able to find anything other than a schematic

thesmokingman

some also argue that there some difference in clipping diodes (ma150/1s1588/1n914/1n4148) but we're talking a few hundred mV of Vf or some odd claim of being warmer/harsher etc ... same thing for the small amount of series resistance before the op amp in the ts-10 ...

once upon a time I was Tornado Alley FX