News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

best place for tabs?

Started by redkurn, April 18, 2021, 01:17:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

redkurn

I've been using songsterr and the tabs sound mostly right, but I have come across several that were off and most recently Metallica - For whom the bell tolls is way off.
Who ever is submitting these either doesn't pay attention or just guesses. XD After the 10th bar the song clearly changes, but the tabs continue on like no one would know.

Chevelle - The red is another example, I tuned to it and it sounded way off, which is another issue I have noticed, tuning and BPM aren't accurate, at least when I googled the Metallica song it came up 112BPM and the tab suggests 118, but even that gets a bit shady since other websites claim it is 118 on the remastered.  ???

Ultimate Guitar has the same problem, but it's even worse with several variations of poorly written tab and it just looks bad too which makes it hard for me who is only 6-8 months into learning to even work it out and the paid version seems to be the same tabs with more options for how it's displayed.

So does anyone know of a website that has accurate tab or sheet music?

harryklippton

I paid for ultimate guitar last year and the official and pro tabs are usually much more accurate. It was less than the price of a Hal Leonard guitar recorded versions book

matmosphere

Check and see if somebody has a video lesson for that song on YouTube. A lot of times people will include tabs.

Invertiguy

Yeah, I love Songsterr for their interface but a lot of the tabs are definitely hit or miss and the fact that there's no rating system to reflect that annoys me greatly. Ultimate Guitar's pro tabs definitely seem to be more accurate and if they're wrong you can rate them to reflect it.
Doomsday Devices

EBK

If you ever want to make your own tab, there is a beautiful software tool called Transcribe.  It doesn't do the actual heavy lifting, but it makes the job much easier.  You really have to read this page to understand how it helps, because I'm terrible at explaining it:

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

HalfLife

I got a UG Pro lifetime for $5. They offer that once a year. They have 'verified' tabs, if you believe it.
It's been p good. I'm ok with buying that, plus I got it cheap.

The OG tab database is still out there, btw. If you can find it.

harryklippton

Quote from: HalfLife on April 18, 2021, 02:56:12 PM
I got a UG Pro lifetime for $5. They offer that once a year. They have 'verified' tabs, if you believe it.

Holy crap I'll do that in a heartbeat if I ever catch it

Aentons

I think we all know that tabs are wrong a lot of time. I always pull up a video of the original artist playing live to verify. It's not always the same key but it makes easier to understand how they actually pull off some of the stuff they do

redkurn

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 18, 2021, 07:40:31 AM
Check and see if somebody has a video lesson for that song on YouTube. A lot of times people will include tabs.

I've done that and on older songs they conflict a lot...

Quote from: EBK on April 18, 2021, 11:56:26 AM
If you ever want to make your own tab, there is a beautiful software tool called Transcribe.  It doesn't do the actual heavy lifting, but it makes the job much easier.  You really have to read this page to understand how it helps, because I'm terrible at explaining it:

https://www.seventhstring.com/xscribe/overview.html

That could work, but not sure it's for me yet.

Quote from: harryklippton on April 18, 2021, 03:31:58 AM
I paid for ultimate guitar last year and the official and pro tabs are usually much more accurate. It was less than the price of a Hal Leonard guitar recorded versions book
Quote from: HalfLife on April 18, 2021, 02:56:12 PM

This is one of the issues I have with UG...
https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/search.php?search_type=title&value=holy%20diver

Some are similar, others are wildly different and a few have the same rating while being different and a majority of the videos agree with the tab on songsterr for the most part (still wildly different) with the image attached, but I can hear in my mind when I play it that it should sound deeper, but not sure if it's the amp settings or strings being used.

This is the usualy issue I encounter, is UG paid version way better than this or the same tab?

slacker775

A bit pricier than the others but guitarinstructor.com has loads of tabs - the same ones in the books.  They also have videos showing you how to play a number of songs which can be helpful for trickier stuff.   They often do a deal at black a Friday for an annual sub for around $60.

matmosphere

It's been a long time since I've played, or even heard this song, but I remember it quite well. I think I used to have a tab from a guitar mag for it. This is pretty solid for a free tab for this song.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/metallica/for-whom-the-bell-tolls-tabs-390313

It actually reminds me that they were worth listening to back when Cliff was in the band.

harryklippton

Quote from: Matmosphere on April 18, 2021, 07:08:13 PM
It's been a long time since I've played, or even heard this song, but I remember it quite well. I think I used to have a tab from a guitar mag for it. This is pretty solid for a free tab for this song.

https://tabs.ultimate-guitar.com/tab/metallica/for-whom-the-bell-tolls-tabs-390313

It actually reminds me that they were worth listening to back when Cliff was in the band.

For some reason this reminds me of the time many years ago that I woke up with what I thought was the best idea for a song intro for my band at the time, and immediately started putting it together with my guitar. After 10 minutes, I realized it was just the intro to hell awaits and I was disappointed but surprised that it was all rattling around in my brain without ever having learned it

redkurn

That's pretty cool you remembered it, I keep thinking and hearing the Time solo in my head, so I got a MXR Carbon Copy Analog Delay for $60 and found a video with appropriate settings, then used the orange red llama (snarkdoodle) to get it to fuzz right.
I might try with the ts808 (greenbean2019) too.

I'll check out the tab, it definitely looks way more accurate with the intro at least and seems to be roughly the same after.
Going to print it off and add that to my list of to learn.

GreenBean2019 is definitely the way to go with that delay.  8)

jimilee

Quote from: harryklippton on April 18, 2021, 08:26:32 PM
Quote from: Matmosphere on April 18, 2021, 07:08:13 PM

For some reason this reminds me of the time many years ago that I woke up with what I thought was the best idea for a song intro for my band at the time, and immediately started putting it together with my guitar. After 10 minutes, I realized it was just the intro to hell awaits and I was disappointed but surprised that it was all rattling around in my brain without ever having learned it

My buddy's band recorded an album many years ago. One of the solos had a black magic woman riff in it. A few years after it was done, I asked him about it. He said he knew it sounded familiar but never could remember what it was from.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

redkurn

Went ahead and paid the $24.99 for a year of UG, it's pretty much the same tab Songsterr gives away so far, but I can print without downloading and editing the tab. :-\

Cheaper than $10 a month, so kind of a win I guess.

Looking for really good beginner -> intermediate songs, would like some that aren't stacked recordings of the same guitarist and good solos that will make my fingers bleed the first go around at full speed, but sound too good to stop... suggestions?