News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

#VFEFRIDAY KLEIN BOTTLE!!!!!

Started by jjjimi84, April 16, 2021, 07:08:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cooder

Awesome build, and a big YES for a demo as well! Cheers!
BigNoise Amplification

Invertiguy

Quote from: Aentons on April 17, 2021, 03:02:13 AM
Wow, that's like $60 per board. I know they are 4 layer boards but that's a bunch a $

Yeah, OSHPark does some mighty fine work, but man are they pricey. FWIW you can download the .brd file, open it with Eagle, and generate gerber files to order it from elsewhere for a better price. JLCPCB quoted me about $40 for 5 boards before shipping.
Doomsday Devices

jjjimi84

Quote from: Invertiguy on April 18, 2021, 09:13:19 AM
Quote from: Aentons on April 17, 2021, 03:02:13 AM
Wow, that's like $60 per board. I know they are 4 layer boards but that's a bunch a $

Yeah, OSHPark does some mighty fine work, but man are they pricey. FWIW you can download the .brd file, open it with Eagle, and generate gerber files to order it from elsewhere for a better price. JLCPCB quoted me about $40 for 5 boards before shipping.

I think the c100k/c10k dual pots would be more of an issue. I wanted to build a few dragons for people and getting those pots was a minimum order of a 1000, if I remember

Invertiguy

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 18, 2021, 11:35:15 AM

I think the c100k/c10k dual pots would be more of an issue. I wanted to build a few dragons for people and getting those pots was a minimum order of a 1000, if I remember

That thought definitely crossed my mind. Is it perhaps possible to get a c100k dual pot and swap out one of the wafers/resistive elements with one from a c10k pot? I know it's possible with the single gang pots, never tried it with a dual.
Doomsday Devices

jimilee

I forgot about that pot.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Aentons

Is it a different pot than the giant box of weird 5 lug dual pots that Brian got from Peter?

I'd go in on board at 40/5

Invertiguy

Quote from: Aentons on April 18, 2021, 04:07:15 PM
Is it a different pot than the giant box of weird 5 lug dual pots that Brian got from Peter?

I'd go in on board at 40/5

I have no idea. I know some other VFE projects used them and Brian included them with the boards, but the fact that those projects are no longer available leads me to believe he may have depleted his supply. However, after doing some investigation it does appear possible to cobble them together out of a 10kC dual gang pot and a 100kC single gang pot by disassembling them and swapping the rear wafer in the 10kC dual pot with the wafer in the 100kC pot. Unfortunately I haven't been able to find any right-angle PC mount 10kC dual gang pots, so you'll have to wire them to the board.

However, another issue rears its ugly head: it's perfectly possible to buy the PIC12F509 switching controllers, but they need to be programmed and the code is proprietary to VFE and not freely available. You'd have to contact Peter and ask if he'd either be willing to share the code or program up a set of chips.
Doomsday Devices

Feral Feline

Quote from: oeslicoalfin on April 17, 2021, 02:42:57 AM
Peter made me one of his B-stocks when he was fundraising for his son. I still can't find the blemish on the enclosure! He has some rigorous QC standards, and I hope he is passing that ideal onto his students. Looking forward to your video Dan.   

I ordered one of the blem DIY kits — but the only blem I could find on it was ME!

I opted to DIY the SMD to save a few bucks (I'd already spent a lot during the VFE close-out), but kind of regretting it and haven't tackled the project yet. Going to do a couple other smaller SMD builds first.

SO who here has a Klein Bottle they've soldered the SMD chips themselves?

Also, re dual-gang pot-wafer swapping: Check out Aion's legacy PCB Chroma build-doc, it has detailed directions on how to perform a dual-gang wafer swap.

dmnCrawler

When I ordered a pedal from the last batch that VFE was offering I was able to order the pots and programmed ICs as well. You can always send an email and ask. I am just waiting to order a board now before I build mine.

Aentons

You guys see there is a new KB v2 out with a DIY option that comes with all the custom pots and smd stuff presoldered

It's at the bottom of the front page but I had to zoom out to get a scroll bar.
http://vfepedals.com/

harryklippton

I'm really tempted to get it cuz I don't want to miss out, but I don't think I'd actually like it

jimilee

Really cool. Although the case is presto lord, it's bare metal this time. It's a great pedal for your a
Stash. Mines around here somewhere.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Invertiguy

Quote from: Aentons on May 02, 2021, 04:40:21 PM
You guys see there is a new KB v2 out with a DIY option that comes with all the custom pots and smd stuff presoldered

Well damn, I might have to grab one next paycheck then! I don't know if I really have much use for it at the moment or if I'll get around to building it any time in the near future, but I can't deny my attraction to weird, overly-complicated projects!

He also mentioned working on making the pots and switching controllers available for purchase, so even if I have to get my own boards fabbed and do my own enclosure that would make things much less daunting.
Doomsday Devices

Feral Feline

SMD is all presoldered, but the custom pots are not included and will be an additional cost.

I ordered it and, along with others who ordered it, received an email detailing the time-frame and the extra-cost options.

Aentons

Quote from: Feral Feline on May 03, 2021, 02:38:11 PM

SMD is all presoldered, but the custom pots are not included and will be an additional cost.

I ordered it and, along with others who ordered it, received an email detailing the time-frame and the extra-cost options.

Hmm, it says they are on the front page of the site:
"DIY option includes PCB with all surface mount ICs pre-installed, pre-drilled bare metal case, and custom dual-gang LPF/HPF potentiometers. All other components are not included."