News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

When the client says "Paint Whatever"

Started by jjjimi84, April 08, 2021, 05:19:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jjjimi84

I normally do not do builds for others and very rarely ever paint for anyone else but I gotta fund this habit somehow...

Anyways this deal involved vintage tubes and all he said was "just paint whatever, I trust you". This is really freeing because I dont have to worry about trying to create his vision just do what I want to do and here it is, his Timmy Version 3 I believe.

Does anyone have any stories like this? I am new to selling the stuff I build and so far have had some good experiences.

harryklippton

I try to imagine all my builds are for someone else. It helps me a lot, both in the build quality and how they look. That painting looks super cool!

jimilee

I try not to sell at all, but when I do, I just put whatever I'm feeling that day. I priced a guy $700.00 on a multi that I didn't want to do, he comes back 2 days later and pays it. Sucked, but I built free for a while. So I try to price it high enough to make them think twice about it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

Quote from: jimilee on April 08, 2021, 06:51:10 PM
I try not to sell at all, but when I do, I just put whatever I'm feeling that day. I priced a guy $700.00 on a multi that I didn't want to do, he comes back 2 days later and pays it. Sucked, but I built free for a while. So I try to price it high enough to make them think twice about it.

That is an insane amount to me, I usually just give everything away or do stuff super cheap. I am happy when I sell a build if I just break even or only lose a little but of money.

jjjimi84

Here is his other pedal, fresh from my meat paws. Up next is a little Nilla rabbit for a forum member.

cooder

BigNoise Amplification

jimilee

Quote from: jjjimi84 on April 08, 2021, 07:22:33 PM
Quote from: jimilee on April 08, 2021, 06:51:10 PM

That is an insane amount to me, I usually just give everything away or do stuff super cheap. I am happy when I sell a build if I just break even or only lose a little but of money.
It is to me also. When you don't really want to build it, and they want to pay it. I do build for a good friend  for nothing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

PapaKev

More great work. I'm speechless. My problem is that I have NO original ideas. Give me numbers and I can get them to do whatever you want. Any type of art and I'm just completely lost.

jjjimi84

Quote from: cooder on April 08, 2021, 09:43:35 PM
Whatever you paint IS great. 8)

Trust me there are a ton of clunkers, my first 30 or so really sucked. I gotta paint something for you, you build a sagan delay yet?

Quote from: PapaKev on April 08, 2021, 10:41:08 PM
More great work. I'm speechless. My problem is that I have NO original ideas. Give me numbers and I can get them to do whatever you want. Any type of art and I'm just completely lost.

Thank you very much for saying so. I still find myself searching for pictures online and using them for inspiration or creative license or what ever you want to call it. I keep a folder of pictures that I take of different things and use objects and toys for models. Painting has turned into therapy for me, a time for me to de stress and turn the phone off.

cooder

Haven't built the Sagan delay yet, nope. There's so much stuff out there to build, yay, aren't we lucky, better than running out of things to do for sure.
Thanks for the offer of painting something, when I can visit family in the States next time, one day, I'll let you know, will be cheaper than shipping stuff around the planet. I'll bring a parcel for you then too... more things to aim for.
BigNoise Amplification

diablochris6

I almost never build for other people, and when I do, it's usually for family or close friends. They see what quality I usually push out, and they usually give me free reign. It doesn't hurt that I go the "Radiohead pay what you want" route. I charge for the parts and shipping but give them the option to pay what they feel it is worth. Friends and family tend to be generous, especially when they find out how cheap resistors are! I wouldn't necessarily try this with strangers on a large scale, but it keeps the hobby alive.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

redkurn

XD

those look awesome!

My green fuzz I tried to paint looks horrible, it's grown on me though... pun intended. XD

jjjimi84

Quote from: diablochris6 on April 10, 2021, 05:20:28 PM
I almost never build for other people, and when I do, it's usually for family or close friends. They see what quality I usually push out, and they usually give me free reign. It doesn't hurt that I go the "Radiohead pay what you want" route. I charge for the parts and shipping but give them the option to pay what they feel it is worth. Friends and family tend to be generous, especially when they find out how cheap resistors are! I wouldn't necessarily try this with strangers on a large scale, but it keeps the hobby alive.

I dont think I would ever want this to be a job, I feel like I would start to dislike it like my real job. I do like the idea of pay what you want, everyone I have dealt with so far has been really respectful which makes this still fun.

Quote from: redkurn on April 10, 2021, 07:43:42 PM
XD

those look awesome!

My green fuzz I tried to paint looks horrible, it's grown on me though... pun intended. XD

Thank You! I have a number of duds I plan on showing off just to show off how far my skills of painting has come since the beginning. It really makes me want to rehouse a number of them, some of them are quite cringe worthy.

culturejam

Wow, that's great. Looks like a troll or whatever from the old Warhammer Fantasy RGP.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

Willybomb

I don't enjoy building on commission due to the pressure of getting it right, but will sell builds I don't use or have a connection with.  I sold Magnum Opus last year (my MBP BOTY entry a while back)....

I've given a few surprise builds to friends or their kids who are showing some promise in playing (Tiger Drive, Darth Punk, Bass Bomb, Genuine Fake, Funkosaurus).