News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Can you disassemble and modify 9mm Alpha pots?

Started by solderfumes, March 15, 2021, 09:48:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

solderfumes

I've been known to perform surgery on 16mm Alpha potentiometers -- taking them apart and modifying them to make no-load tone pots for guitars, changing the resistive elements to make push-pull pots with unusual values, etc -- and I'm wondering if it's possible to do the same to the 9mm Alpha potentiometers, as I've never actually seen one in person before:

https://www.taydaelectronics.com/1m-ohm-logarithmic-taper-potentiometer-round-shaft-pcb-9mm.html

In particular, right now what I'd like to do is to pop it open and cut the resistive element to make a no-load tone pot.

I know that some (or maybe a lot) of you use these extensively in 1590A builds; have any of you ever tried this?

redkurn

Not sure about that, but I have seen a video reducing the resistance by scraping a little away.

The alpha I opened when I broke the PCB at the legs didn't seem to have much material and I think it was 100k.

oeslicoalfin

Whereas the 16's have flanges on the pot shaft side that can be pried back to release the cover on the back of the pot, the 9's have rivet pins that go through the entire pot case and hold it all together (see pics). I haven't tried taking 9's apart. You may have to sacrifice several before you develop a technique that works. Good luck

redkurn

I have a 9 that I may or may not have ruined pulling on the knob itself trying to get it into alignment.
When I say may or may not, I mean it doesn't work after boxing it in a enclosure after it spent a week or so in a temporary container and worked perfect. XD

I think I am going to attempt to open and fix it, probably when I have a replacement on hand though.
Lesson definitely learned, take the nuts off before trying to install it in a box and don't pull on them, but I was tired and not thinking. Oh well.

The one I did open already was either a 12 or 16.