Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Curious Lovetone "snake oil"

Started by LaceSensor, March 09, 2021, 07:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

culturejam

Quote from: Bio77 on March 10, 2021, 11:27:14 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on March 10, 2021, 10:22:05 PM
does anyone else think I should ask him to not associate my PCB with it?
Maybe it ends up being free marketing for you.

I tend to agree with this. The guy isn't disparaging the Gigahearts brand in any way, and is bringing awareness. Might be a net good thing.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

PapaKev

And poof...it's gone. lol, what a dumbass

LaceSensor

Hey so I asked him what about before and after mods video / sound file etc

He replied thus:

I really don't have a good way of taking videos of a scope. A combination of lack of a suitable tripod, beat frequencies between the camera and the scope and an insufficiency in the number of hands made for a poor show. Aside from that I'm hideously ugly...

Anyway in the attached, the purple is the reference signal and the yellow is the output. The width of the cursors show the range of phase available. You can see it's more than doubled.

LaceSensor

Do these images actually show something viable and useful, worthy of investigation?

I mean, I am more than happy to buy various chips and publish for free the answers but I would like some confirmation this isnt anything but a bit of snake oil.

FWIW IC1 and IC2 in my doppelganger PCB relate to the CV/LFO side, rather than the phase shift stages.
also, Im just a schill hack so I dont know what changing those op amps for other types would really do, but being a lovetone fan I am now very curious.

I take on board the comments about free advertising and the pseudo compliment :)

jimilee

I'm curious myself. Do we have any idea what the chips could be?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jjjimi84

I wonder if this is the same person selling 300 clones of the vfe merman on a pedalpcb.com board on reverb. I showed that post to my wife and she was mad because I sell my hand painted pedals for 75 bucks and this was a bare enclosure.

I always feel that there is a cost versus worth ratio in building pedals. For example, you buy these fancy chips, but when it comes to playing in a band or recording is it going to translate to the end user? I am all about buying cool transistors and diodes and what not but I also have a limit to what I am willing to do for that TONE. Now if we are talking street corner work for the TONE then count me in, I have nice knee pads.

EBK

No matter how curious any of you get, please resist buying these magic chips. 

Although, it was pointed out in a show my kids watched that the magic bean salesman in Jack and the Beanstalk is one of the most honest and caring characters in all fairy tales (the beans were, in fact, magic like he said, and the scrawny cow trade was very much tilted in Jack's favor).
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Betty Wont

Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 11, 2021, 02:58:22 PM
I wonder if this is the same person selling 300 clones of the vfe merman on a pedalpcb.com board on reverb. I showed that post to my wife and she was mad because I sell my hand painted pedals for 75 bucks and this was a bare enclosure.

Whoo BOY! I had to check out that listing. What a crock of up-his-own-ass crap!. I can't believe the audacity of salesmanship going on there. That build quality is similar to Alchemy Audio, which is poor and overpriced at half that $. Noisy old random resistors, And the diode thing.... I just can't.

benny_profane

Quote from: Torgoslayer on March 11, 2021, 03:35:30 PM
Quote from: jjjimi84 on March 11, 2021, 02:58:22 PM

Whoo BOY! I had to check out that listing. What a crock of up-his-own-ass crap!. I can't believe the audacity of salesmanship going on there. That build quality is similar to Alchemy Audio, which is poor and overpriced at half that $. Noisy old random resistors, And the diode thing.... I just can't.

This guy sold a production VFE Merman for $215. Here was the copy for that one:

"Up for sale is the VFE Merman. These are really well designed overdrive pedals based on the Klon but with tons of amazing features. This particular pedal has some normal wear but is 100% perfectly functional and sounds amazing ( not as amazing as my hand made version please see my other listings)"

matmosphere

I would be surprised if there were a tangible improvement from just swapping a few IC's. Coggins seems like a really bright guy, I would think he would have figured it out during the design phase.

Reading through this I'm actually a little disappointed to hear PedalPCB sells VFE boards  :-\ let alone someone selling them online for such absurd prices.

dawson

HA!
I just checked out Mister PPCB-VFE on Reverb-
I'm a little surprised he didn't goop the board.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

matmosphere

Quote from: dawson on March 12, 2021, 12:05:35 AM
HA!

Then he couldn't talk about all the mojo parts in it.

dawson

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 12, 2021, 12:17:49 AM
Then he couldn't talk about all the mojo parts in it.

He could take "before" pictures of his mojo parts.. then swap that board out with a goopy metal-film & 1N4148 build.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

benny_profane

Quote from: dawson on March 12, 2021, 12:05:35 AM
HA!

If he gooped the board, how would he ever solder the LED?

alanp

Quote from: LaceSensor on March 11, 2021, 10:49:05 AM
Anyway in the attached, the purple is the reference signal and the yellow is the output. The width of the cursors show the range of phase available. You can see it's more than doubled.

In the first and third scope shots, the cursors are set to the peak of the yellow signal, and the next trough after that.

In the second, the one he wants to look bad, the cursor is set to the peak of the yellow signal, and some random arbitrary point after that, but nice and short.

Am I missing something here? How in tarnation does this prove the 'depth' of phase?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website