News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

No matter how many overdrives, distortions, fuzzes, I build.....

Started by peAk, March 09, 2021, 03:35:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

Quote from: dawson on March 11, 2021, 10:51:33 PM
Quote from: Aentons on March 11, 2021, 06:58:49 PM
an 808 modded, Maxon built, Ibanez TS9DX

^That's a mouthful- I'm sure it's glorious!
Im not exactly sure what all the mods are or I'd share. I was told when I bought it in the early 2000's that it "was modded before people knew what modding was". I think it may be similar to the analogman silver mod. I need to suck it up and just document all the changes. I had an Ibanez made one and it didn't some near as good

Bio77

I think I'll always have a TS on my board.  I've built several of Aion's TS boards, they're nice for the extra diode pads. My favorite clipping option is the Zendrive (2x2n7000 and 2x1N34A) configuration. 

dawson

Quote from: Aentons on March 11, 2021, 11:09:55 PM
Quote from: dawson on March 11, 2021, 10:51:33 PM
Quote from: Aentons on March 11, 2021, 06:58:49 PM
an 808 modded, Maxon built, Ibanez TS9DX

^That's a mouthful- I'm sure it's glorious!
Im not exactly sure what all the mods are or I'd share. I was told when I bought it in the early 2000's that it "was modded before people knew what modding was". I think it may be similar to the analogman silver mod. I need to suck it up and just document all the changes. I had an Ibanez made one and it didn't some near as good

OooOoo-Aaah
I was secretly hoping there would be some glamour shots but I wasn't going to ask- thanks for sharing!

+ it would be super cool to know what the mod is if you ever get in there and hunt it down.
Criticism is encouraged: constructive, or otherwise.

madbean

I bought my TS-10 in 1990 right before going to Berklee. Used it for years, in the studio, even had it on my gigging bass rig for a long time. Dang thing sounded great! But I haven't used it in years and just sold it within the last two weeks for three times what I paid for it. I won't miss it, other than maybe some sentimental value. DIY has given me so many other ODs that sound just as good or better.

The best overdrive will always be the next one I build :)

Muadzin

I'm with the OP, didn't matter how many OD's a I built, it didn't matter that each next OD I built was king of the roost for a week or two, in the end the TS would always come back on my boards. Eventually I stopped caring about building overdrives at all.

Quote from: Matmosphere on March 11, 2021, 05:56:22 PMSorry for the tangent...

I like Jazz basses as well, but there is something about that p-bass sound that is hard to quantify. I did a lot of research on it ages ago, apparently a lot of it has to do with the location of the pickup.

I think another part of the picture as to how it has become so ubiquitous is that, before Leo Fender designed it there was no other option than an acoustic upright. It entered the market as a completely unique product, and once the bass could be louder other instruments could follow suit.

I read an interesting piece that said no mater how innovative the Telecaster was or how much Leo pushed the envelope with amplification, his most important achievement was the electric bass.  It is an interesting point of view but it might be true, Bigsby already made solid body guitars when the telecaster came out, and I'm sure at some point somebody else would have made a good 100 watt amp.

The electric bass is an outgrowth of the electric guitar. If Leo had not designed the Tele before the P-bass would never have followed. And as you said others made solid body guitars before, just like others built cars before Ford did, but Ford revolutionized its production process that allowed for mass production instead of rich men's toys. And so did Leo Fender with the electric guitar. Others took an acoustic guitar, solidified it and put some pickups on it. Leo designed a way you could assemble pre made parts, screw and solder them together and end up with a working guitar. It's the modular nature of Fender guitars what revolutionizes them over what Bigsby and Gibson were doing.

Stomptown

Quote from: Willybomb on March 11, 2021, 09:26:34 AM
Oddly, I keep building tubescreamers and thinking..... "Nah, I'm not into this"

Sounds like me with BMPs!

alanp

Quote from: Muadzin on March 12, 2021, 03:13:13 PM
The electric bass is an outgrowth of the electric guitar. If Leo had not designed the Tele before the P-bass would never have followed. And as you said others made solid body guitars before, just like others built cars before Ford did, but Ford revolutionized its production process that allowed for mass production instead of rich men's toys. And so did Leo Fender with the electric guitar. Others took an acoustic guitar, solidified it and put some pickups on it. Leo designed a way you could assemble pre made parts, screw and solder them together and end up with a working guitar. It's the modular nature of Fender guitars what revolutionizes them over what Bigsby and Gibson were doing.

That reminds me of something Pratchett wrote in one of his Discworld books... what's important is not who first sets foot on new land, it's who gets back to civilization to tell people about it.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Muadzin

Quote from: Stomptown on March 12, 2021, 05:32:13 PM

Sounds like me with BMPs!

BMP's need a mid switch. Once you have the ability to bring in some mids and re-appear in a band mix you will get the BMP.

Quote from: alanp on March 12, 2021, 10:50:35 PM
That reminds me of something Pratchett wrote in one of his Discworld books... what's important is not who first sets foot on new land, it's who gets back to civilization to tell people about it.

True. Similarly in business its not who invents somethings that matters, but who can capitalize on it and mass produce something that people want.

movinginslomo

My bandmate sold me his ts9 (reissue with jrc chip) for dirt cheap and I did landgraff mods to it, added LEDs for clipping. Does the trick with my blues Jr. Sometimes you just need good generic crunch. Now are the mods worth the landgraff prices? awesome, but nah. Buy a couple caps and a couple LEDs and go to town. Ibanez/Maxxon pedals are cheap and plentiful and easy to mod (along with many PCBs). I always called TS and TS style drives the swiss army knife of dirt/crunch. Need some? use a TS.

jimilee

Quote from: movinginslomo on March 31, 2021, 11:07:42 PM
My bandmate sold me his ts9 (reissue with jrc chip) for dirt cheap and I did landgraff mods to it, added LEDs for clipping. Does the trick with my blues Jr. Sometimes you just need good generic crunch. Now are the mods worth the landgraff prices? awesome, but nah. Buy a couple caps and a couple LEDs and go to town. Ibanez/Maxxon pedals are cheap and plentiful and easy to mod (along with many PCBs). I always called TS and TS style drives the swiss army knife of dirt/crunch. Need some? use a TS.
Oh yeah, with a blues jr., sounds amazing. Throw in a harmonic tremolo and you're on a whole new level, sounds even more awesome.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Muadzin

Quote from: movinginslomo on March 31, 2021, 11:07:42 PM

Same goes for the Boss overdrives. And modding those was what got me into this obsessive compulsive disorder.