News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Glasshole worked great (for about 1/2 hour)

Started by photon, March 07, 2021, 07:17:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

photon

I finished up my Glasshole build yesterday, got the trimmers set just right and it sounded awesome. I had time to play with it for about 30 min. and everything worked and sounded great.

Today when I plugged it in, it just emits a horrible drone and the LEDs are on steady at full brightness (including the one inside that drives the photocells).

Weird, right? Any suggestions very much appreciated.

Thanks!

jimilee

Sounds like a grounding issue. Have a look to make sure something fell or shifted and is touching the enclosure. Sometimes when all the solder joints cool down, wackiness ensures. What's going on with lug 6 on the stomp?
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

photon

Quote from: jimilee on March 07, 2021, 09:48:32 PM
Sounds like a grounding issue. Have a look to make sure something fell or shifted and is touching the enclosure. Sometimes when all the solder joints cool down, wackiness ensures. What's going on with lug 6 on the stomp?

Thanks, I'll take a close look tonight. As for Lug 6 on the stomp, I don't see what you mean.

photon

Quote from: gordo on March 07, 2021, 09:51:31 PM
What's the little light cover made of?

It's 3D printed to be a tight fit around the photocells and lined with aluminum tape.

jimilee

Quote from: photon on March 07, 2021, 10:16:17 PM
Quote from: jimilee on March 07, 2021, 09:48:32 PM

Thanks, I'll take a close look tonight. As for Lug 6 on the stomp, I don't see what you mean.
It must have been the angle on the previous photo, it looked bent forward.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gordo

Looks like the J1 and IN wires need to be flip flopped.
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

Govmnt_Lacky

Looks like the stomp wiring is as per the build doc.

Are you sure you didn't accidentally connect an AC output wall wart to this? A sure fire sign that AC has been connected is when all of the 'lighting' on a pedal shines bright like a Christmas tree  :-\

m-Kresol

Quote from: gordo on March 08, 2021, 03:18:37 PM
Looks like the J1 and IN wires need to be flip flopped.

I agree with Greg, the wiring looks good to me.

Check that your DC input is not shorting on the pot below. I'd recommend using pot covers or electrical tape.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials