News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

NBD-Fender P-bass

Started by Thewintersoldier, February 21, 2021, 08:15:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thewintersoldier

The only bass I've had for years is a squier short scale jaguar bass. I've never been thrilled with it, it has a number of issues I've been unhappy with for a long time. The short scale doesn't do it for me, the bridge rattles like crazy, the jazz bass pickup is not my thing, the basswood body is too light and it has crazy neck dive and the nut width is too narrow for me. I've dealt with it but always wanted a new bass. But not being a regular bass player always made me say just deal with it. Got a good deal from musicians friend and got it delivered last night.
It's a player series precision bass in polar white with the pau ferro fretboard. This thing slays. Going thru my ampeg combo amp it sounds really good. Ran some fuzz and phaser with it and I am so happy with it. On the squier I only used the P-bass pickup and this with the alder body and regular scale length really brings that classic bass tone. Only thing I might change is putting a mint green pickguard  on. I'll do some cavity shielding and that's it, play the shit out of this thing. Watch for some bass pedals soon haha

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

jimilee

That's awesome, I was just looking at those. I like a good jbass too. The PBass is real spanky and the jbass is a mellow bottom end. Both have their place. Color me jealous man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

harryklippton

Oh man that's great. I'd love a proper p bass!

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on February 21, 2021, 08:56:37 PM
That's awesome, I was just looking at those. I like a good jbass too. The PBass is real spanky and the jbass is a mellow bottom end. Both have their place. Color me jealous man.

I like the way the jazz bass looks but the precision plays and sounds like a bass should in my head. If I could get a Mark Hoppus bass. Jazz bass body with a single P-bass pickup.
Who the hell is Bucky?

EBK

Another option is to wire JBass pickups in series.  It won't quite boom like a PBass, but it doesn't burp like a traditional JBass (it is somewhere in the middle). I have a series/parallel switch on a push-pull tone pot on mine.
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

jimilee

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on February 21, 2021, 10:47:29 PM
Quote from: jimilee on February 21, 2021, 08:56:37 PM

I like the way the jazz bass looks but the precision plays and sounds like a bass should in my head. If I could get a Mark Hoppus bass. Jazz bass body with a single P-bass pickup.
Oh yeah, I played a PBass for a long time. Built on modded one. Both have PBass humbuckers. I know exactly the sound you're talking about. Enjoy it, I want one too.

Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jimilee

Quote from: EBK on February 21, 2021, 10:55:36 PM
Another option is to wire JBass pickups in series.  It won't quite boom like a PBass, but it doesn't burp like a traditional JBass (it is somewhere in the middle). I have a series/parallel switch on a push-pull tone pot on mine.
Whaaaaatttt??? That sounds Awesome!!!

jjjimi84

Looks great and I am looking forward to the bass effects, please tell me the blob is going to make an appearance on one.

cooder

Classy white wedding there, hitched up now! Great reason for some bass pedals indeed.
BigNoise Amplification

diablochris6

Awesome! I'm more of a J bass kind of guy, but the P has that sweet punch to it.
Build guides of my original designs and modifications here

matmosphere

The white on white looks great.

I'm 100% with you on the PBass sound. That sound is exactly what I think of when I think of playing bass. I had a cheap affinity squier pbass and it sounded really great. I have this hollow body bass now, and I love it but only use the pbass pickup that I put in it.