Main Menu

Dirtbag Troubles

Started by tenwatt, December 06, 2011, 03:00:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

LaceSensor

tenwatt

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 08, 2011, 01:18:55 PM
touch where exactly  :o
If I touch the bare "Level" pot shaft (no knob) with my bare finger (or bare toe so that I can test it with out whine) it stops the whining that occurs when I turn the "Delay" pot up.
Not too bright....

LaceSensor

nope still there either way on mine

tenwatt

Quote from: madbean on December 07, 2011, 12:57:56 PM
Signal seems a bit hot coming off pins 3&4 of each BBD. I'll need to get some voltages from mine for comparison.

One possible solution to reduce distortion is to reduce the signal input to the BBD's even further. This is untested but here are a couple of ideas:

Temporarily disconnect R18 to see if the overload LED is having an influence on noise.
Increase R21 to 100k and reduce C14 to 3n3.
Lower R11 and R12 down to 33k.

Also, do you have the two GAIN trimmers turned all the way down?
Hey Brian,

Have you read our recent problems?  Do these ideas still apply?  I just don't want to have to do anymore desoldering than I have to.  ;)
Not too bright....

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 08, 2011, 03:47:39 PM
Quote from: madbean on December 07, 2011, 12:57:56 PM
Signal seems a bit hot coming off pins 3&4 of each BBD. I'll need to get some voltages from mine for comparison.

One possible solution to reduce distortion is to reduce the signal input to the BBD's even further. This is untested but here are a couple of ideas:

Temporarily disconnect R18 to see if the overload LED is having an influence on noise.
Increase R21 to 100k and reduce C14 to 3n3.
Lower R11 and R12 down to 33k.

Also, do you have the two GAIN trimmers turned all the way down?
Hey Brian,

Have you read our recent problems?  Do these ideas still apply?  I just don't want to have to do anymore desoldering than I have to.  ;)
Yes they would still apply.

I can't find my copy of the Compander cookbook to get the correct equation to know where best to set R11 & 12 but somewhere between 33 & 47k may be a good choice.

But both methods just decrease how hard the BBDs are smacked in the first place so give them a whirl, you can make up gain later.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

IF I were to do one thing at a time whats likely most beneficial ? the resistor pair on the compander?

Cheers

tenwatt

Let me get this straight, though.  If I disconect R18 and the problem goes away are the other mods neccesary?

*EDIT* Sorry, Lace.  I was typing as you posted.
Not too bright....

LaceSensor

I was just about to d/c R18 if you wanna wait for me to try it?

LaceSensor

R18 doesnt make a difference on my build

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 08, 2011, 04:11:06 PM
Let me get this straight, though.  If I disconect R18 and the problem goes away are the other mods neccesary?

*EDIT* Sorry, Lace.  I was typing as you posted.
If it goes away it goes away, but I don't think it'll help, could be wrong there though.

The other methods make more sense as they're reducing the gain that smacks the BBDs.

Sockets would be my suggestion for R11,12,21 & C14 untill a good balance is found.

I'd breadboard the circuit but I don't have all the parts yet.
Works at Lectric-FX

LaceSensor

socketed R11 and R12 with 33k in there its not really any better

LaceSensor

100k in r21 makes things more extremely muffled and severely limits repeats but i can still hear distortion on the repeat
struggling to get c14 out already screwed one pad on r21 luckily it was salvagable

LaceSensor

gotta go out.

If tenwatt tries c14 that'd be cool. if I ruined the pads, how easy would it be to jumper?

tenwatt

Quote from: LaceSensor on December 08, 2011, 06:08:19 PM
gotta go out.

If tenwatt tries c14 that'd be cool. if I ruined the pads, how easy would it be to jumper?
Since you've already done the others I'll start with C14 tonight.  It will be another four hours or so before I get to mess with it but if you haven't done it before then I'll be all over it.  That is IF I have a 3n3.
Not too bright....

Scruffie

Quote from: tenwatt on December 08, 2011, 06:10:15 PM
Quote from: LaceSensor on December 08, 2011, 06:08:19 PM
gotta go out.

Since you've already done the others I'll start with C14 tonight.  It will be another four hours or so before I get to mess with it but if you haven't done it before then I'll be all over it.  That is IF I have a 3n3.
Doing Just C14 wont do anything, you have to do it in conjunction with R21 because together they form a... (this is the bit where you're meant to learn).

*Hint* Big Muff Tone Control Blends between them.

This is why your repeats became muffled when increasing R21 but not changing C14.
Works at Lectric-FX