News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Flangers Here, There, Everywhere!

Started by danfrank, December 26, 2020, 07:35:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danfrank

Merry Christmas everyone.
Today I submit a couple more Flangers I have built. First one is the "NZF" which stands for Near Zero Flanger by Dr Alx. Here's the link on the design with build notes:

https://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=107353.0

It's a double delay line flanger that goes to "zero" and back, so the neat TZF effect comes through loud and clear on this project. The real benefit to this one though, is that all parts are easy to source AND with only 3 knobs and a switch, is pretty user friendly to operate.
Knobs are for "Rate", "Depth", and "Feedback". The switch is for pos/neg flanging.
This one takes some time and effort to calibrate, but it can be done by ear and the results are very nice!
I used a 1590C enclosure so the board just fit and the depth of the case made including the jacks and footswitch possible.
This runs on a standard 9 volt effect power supply and the one deviation I did from the original circuit is that I added an 8 volt regulator to the PCB. I have found out through experience that BBD effects work so much better if the power provided is regulated.
One more thing... Those aren't real MN3204 ICs, they're actually MN3207 ICs that some unscrupulous online vendor relabeled. They are perfectly good 3207s though, which is what this project requires.
I have no idea why I called my example, "Le Flange"...
Thanks to Dr. Alx for this neat design!

danfrank

Next up is a Blast from the Past, the Collosalus 2015 - MXR 117 clone MB came out with a few years ago.
Pretty straightforward build with a few mods...
I added a toggle to turn it into a vibrato also. Most flangers make good vibratos at higher LFO rates. All one has to do is cut the dry signal to the output of the effect; only wet signal is used. I also added an expression jack so the flanging can be controlled by a foot pedal. This makes a flanger much more versital in application.
I hope MB brings this project back in an updated version. It can use a few tweeks to get clock noise down when using 9 volts in. The first one I built had no clock noise with a 9 volt supply but this one does. I think it comes down to parts selection on my part, because that's the only difference between this one and the first one I built.
I also added a LFO rate indicator which comes in handy. Oh, and a LM2937-15 LDO regulator instead of the traditional 7815. LDO regs are a must if using a 9 volt battery to power the effect.
I need to buy more knobs, I ran out. Lol!

cooder

Excellent builds, quite involved stuff and thanks for the  pointer to the Dr Alx, have to check that thread out. Very cool.
BigNoise Amplification

danfrank

Oh, and kudos to Haberdasher for the PCB etching. He does top notch work!