News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Favorite New Tools of 2020!?!?!?!?

Started by peAk, December 22, 2020, 08:00:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Aentons

peAk

I can't emphasize enough that the tabs on the plastic Rocket Sockets are what make these things great

While regular metal sockets work fine, you can't apply the same torque with your hand as you can with these

davent

Quote from: mattc on December 23, 2020, 05:17:11 PM
Quote from: Aentons on December 23, 2020, 04:42:04 AM

Adafruit is the cheapest but they are out of stock. They also sell them thru Digikey. It's an Engineer SS-02
https://www.adafruit.com/product/1597

https://www.digikey.com/en/products/detail/adafruit-industries-llc/1597/7244942

I suspect digikey is going to be out of stock soon, too!  I just ordered one, thanks for the tip.

Back when i bought mine the options were Adafruit and Amazon with Adafruit being the far better option even with shipping to Canada. Plus they had some other cool hard to find bits for the order.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

davent

Quote from: gordo on December 23, 2020, 02:01:29 PM
Need to take a look over at Digikey.

I like the rocket sockets just cuz they're cool.  You can't over tighten stuff and they don't scratch enclosures (which is pretty much my calling card).

The socket rockets look to be just the deal for using inside a populated  chassis and tighteneing RCA jacks , always a challenge make do job with everything i have available.

I use nut drivers or where room permits that ESP wrench to tighten nuts on enclosure and to prevent scratching finished enclosures took transparency film and cut holes based on the the size of the various common hardware nuts we see. Cut the transparency into individual strips and when i need to tighten a nut i can slip the appropriately  sized strip around the nut to be tightened, it rests on the enclosure surface protecting it from the metal nut driver.

To cut the holes in the transparency, another tool you didn't know you needed, an Olfa Circle Cutter, very handy.

Maybe this will show, but maybe it won't, i can see it.

dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Aentons

Aentons

Quote from: davent on December 23, 2020, 06:11:10 PM
To cut the holes in the transparency, another tool you didn't know you needed, an Olfa Circle Cutter, very handy.

dave

You are correct. Now that I know it exists, I do need it.

Haberdasher

Quote from: Aentons on December 23, 2020, 07:46:47 PM
I use heat shrink tubing
Good idea.  That's going to happen here soon, thanks!
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

madbean

Definitely Rocket Sockets for me. Well worth the $15 or whatever it was.

Bio77

I use heat shrink tubing
Genius!  You just found a use for the large heat shrink tubes I've been saving for years.  ;D

Thewintersoldier

Quote from: jimilee on December 23, 2020, 04:35:36 AM
Quote from: EBK on December 22, 2020, 08:19:11 PM
These are the tools I bought in 2020:

a deburring tool and a solder sucker.

The solder sucker has been a life changer for me.  Before I got this, desoldering often involved burning the heck out of things while using copper braid.  Not fun.  This is simple.  Heat the solder, push the button, and the solder is gone.  8)

The deburring tool is nice too.  Saves some time cleaning up drill holes.  Not life  changing, but helpful.
Well dammit, can a brother get a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a cheap solder sucker with some high temp silicon tubing from work on the tip. I also cut a notch for the iron tip so I lose no suction. A drop of flux and I can get it all. That's why my pullout game was so strong on the dandy horse build.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

Who the hell is Bucky?

Thewintersoldier

I use heat shrink tubing
I use the same harbour freight colored deep sockets and have the colors memorized, they are the best 6 dollars I spent in a long time.  This is such a great idea I'm gonna have to try it.

Who the hell is Bucky?

harryklippton

Quote from: Thewintersoldier on December 23, 2020, 09:11:20 PM
Quote from: jimilee on December 23, 2020, 04:35:36 AM
Quote from: EBK on December 22, 2020, 08:19:11 PM
These are the tools I bought in 2020:

a deburring tool and a solder sucker.

The solder sucker has been a life changer for me.  Before I got this, desoldering often involved burning the heck out of things while using copper braid.  Not fun.  This is simple.  Heat the solder, push the button, and the solder is gone.  8)

The deburring tool is nice too.  Saves some time cleaning up drill holes.  Not life  changing, but helpful.
Well dammit, can a brother get a link?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I use a cheap solder sucker with some high temp silicon tubing from work on the tip. I also cut a notch for the iron tip so I lose no suction. A drop of flux and I can get it all. That's why my pullout game was so strong on the dandy horse build.

I love the idea of cutting a notch. I gotta try that

EBK

Quote from: Aentons on December 23, 2020, 08:02:27 PM
Quote from: davent on December 23, 2020, 06:11:10 PM

dave

You are correct. Now that I know it exists, I do need it.
I've actually determined that I need a circle cutter too.  If we keep this thread going, we will eventually all have identical tools.   ;D
"There is a pestilence upon this land. Nothing is sacred. Even those who arrange and design shrubberies are under considerable economic stress in this period in history." --Roger the Shrubber

Aentons

Another trick I have is I like using the little harbor freight clamps for holding boards while I solder because they have the quick release trigger and have the handles that stick out so I can hold them down with my arm or wrist. I can also clamp one to another to hold them at weird angles.