News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Signal Chain - Wah and Fuzz questions

Started by keysandguitars, December 03, 2011, 10:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

keysandguitars

So I've built 10-15 pedals now and am finishing up a couple more and I thought I'd better get around to actually playing guitar and rigging up a pedal board. I threw some scrap 1x2's I had laying around and cut it to fit into an old case I had laying around used for a GT-10...long gone now.

I've been reading about the wah/fuzz dilemma and thought I'd bounce my proposed chain off you guys.
I'm thinking of going like this:

Guitar - Compressor - Mangler FF - CAE MC-404 Wah - Qtron - Low Rider Octave - Overdrive Pedals - Distortion Pedals - Pork Barrel - Phase 45 clone - Treumulus lune - Styrmon Timeline - Amp.

It's mainly the front end of the chain that I'm concerned with as I've never owned a comp, fuzz, or octave pedal. The rest of the chain seems pretty standard. I'll try it a few ways and see what sounds best to my ears, but thought I'd ask you guys.

I'm hoping the Timeline's buffer will be sufficient, but I can build one to put at the front if needed. I've read that a buffer in front of the FF isn't good though. I'll do some A/B to see how the tone holds up without a buffer in the front. Assuming it needs it, where would you put it? I'm planning on having 15-20 pedals on my board. I'll get it all wired up and take a pic if anyone's interested.
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

keysandguitars

One follow up question. I love the boost in the Krankasaurus and assume that I should place that near the front of the signal chain. I'm not sure how best to incorporate that seeing how it's got the distortion attached. Saw it in half maybe? ;D THoughts?
I should still be a "diode destroyer"!

nzCdog

Trial and error is the key.  

I read somewhere that putting a buffer near the front of your chain and at the end works well if your pedals are mostly true bypass.  I put my fuzz pedals first because they sound totally different after a buffered bypass pedal...  so my board is:
Guitar>Fuzz>Volume>Wah(buffered)>OD>Dist>Mods>Delay(Buffered)
Works for me,YMMV

I built the Krankosaurus and loved it.  Sounded good in the Overdrive/Distortion section to me.  Great pedal, really thick useful sound.  You could build a SHO clone or Echoplex booster if you wanted to try another clean boost somewhere else in your chain.

PS. Woot! You have Timeline! 8) 8) 8)

jkokura

You can also put a buffer into your wah to solve that problem. It's actually a pretty easy mod and easily reversible. I highly recommend it, and there's going to be a a layout available very shortly, being verified currently.

Jacob

P.s. I also have my timeline now. I wish I had more time in on it.
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bigmufffuzzwizz

Looks pretty good to me but I'd agree with Corey that it's really a trial and error. You'll find some pedals really seem to work differently depending on where they are placed. I put my octave (micro POG) first since I consider it an EQ pedal. After I do the same with a Big Muff into my wah to get the crazy wah sweeps. Then I add distortion after into my modulation pedals. I usually set them up chorus>phaser>flanger and of course delay last. For some reason I put my BYOC reverb after my tremolo but before my phaser and it works well. Just try different stuff..move em around until you get something you like!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals